We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Hi forum,

For my trip in January, Ive almost decided on Romance hotel and seeking the forums help for some clarifications..

Location - Great

Views- Not really

Rooms-Good

I saw a post under the hotel review that there are some issues with heating.. N i know January is freezing, so is it still having problems? and pls suggest a good room number for a couple and a daughter..

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Hi Oopsyaar, I do not know if anyone on the forum has any personal experience with this hotel. For answers to specific questions you could send a PM to some of the people who have recently reviewed the hotel on TA.

I know nothing specific about the hotel except for the location, which is not bad. It is in Sirkeci very near the tram stop. You can easily reach other areas using the tram. It is very near one of my favorite restaurant streets, Hodjapasha. Also close to another great restaurant, Cafe Mese. I like Sirkeci better than Sultanahmet in some respects. There are not as many tourists. Restaurants are generally better & much less expensive. It feels more like an authentic Turkish neighborhood to me.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

If there are issues re heating then look somewhere else if you are going in January.

Istanbul, Sultanahmet and Sirkeci are full of good warm hotel rooms! And if a view is important, many of them in Sultanahmet have those too!

I am still bewildered as to why anyone would want to stay in Sirkeci but lots of people love it and it is convenient for getting other places.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Personally, I prefer Sultanahmet to Sirkeci. Sirkeci gets crazy busy and loud with all the auto traffic, trams, and pedestrians. Sirkeci is close to where you catch the ferry, if you want to see the Asian side of Istanbul.

What's great about Sultanahmet is that it has many of Istanbul's major sites, and all are within walking distance - and you don't have to walk up hill as you would if you stayed in Sirkeci. You could take the tram to Sultanahment.

I like that Sultanahmet has the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, the Hippodrome, the Arasta Bazaar, the Basilica Cistern, Sultanahmet Square, Topkapi Palace, and the Mosaics Museum. The Grand Bazaar is a 10 minute walk along Divan Yolu.

There are several good places to get lunch or dinner in Sultanahmet. I love the manti at Kathisma Albura. Often, I prefer having dinnr in Beyloglu or Taksim because the food is so good in this area! Often when you find restaurants filled with Turks, I bet the food will be very good. And if you happen to like Moroccan food, which often includes fruit in savory dishes, try Ottoman cuisine in Istanbul.

ASITANE Restaurant is good place to try Ottoman cuisine and the restaurant serves very good Turkish wine, as well. ASITANE is near Chora Church in Edirnekapi. (Chora Museum is a must-stop while in Istanbul, btw.) Alternatively, you can find Ottoman cuisine at HACI ABDULLAH on Istiklal Cadessi, which is the large pedestrian walkway/road in Taksim.

Have a great trip!

Chora Church is definitely worth a visit while in Istanbul.

Edited: 6:39 pm, December 09, 2012
Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Why it is superior to stay in Sirkeci to Sultanahmet is very clear to me after more than 40 visits and years of stay in Istanbul.

1: The food, just look at the website enigma linked to in another thread. Sultanahmet is about touristic food.

2: Communication and getting around in Istanbul, Sirkeci is in the heart of the city, you just walk down to the port or the bus terminal in Eminönü. And Sultanahmet is just one stop away withthe tram, walkable of course. Staying in Sirkeci is not losing Sultanahmet.

3: Hotel prices are lower, but you find several top placed hotels in Sirkeci on the TA rankings.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Istanbul really has a neighborhood for every type of traveler. I understand GTTD commitment to Sultanahmet. I love staying in my quaint little hotel on the quiet street in Sultanahmet. It is part of almost every memory I have of Istanbul, and the staff of our hotel are like family.

Still, we spent very little time in Sultanahmet on our last visit. I was a bit disappointed in the restaurants. Some of our favorite places had huge increases in prices. We found that the service was not as hospitable as in previous years, and the food quality was not consistent.

I absolutely would visit Sirkeci just for the restaurants. I love the little places in Hodjapasha as well as the many upscale dining opportunities. I used to only go to Sirkeci when we needed camera supplies, so I understand why people may not associate this neighborhood with good food and good hotels. We, however, decided to do a bit of exploring and we very much enjoy this entire area.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

If you'd like to explore neighborhoods, I'd go well beyond Sirkeci. Friends of mine recently came back from Turkey. I would explore neighborhoods, such as:

Kadıköy & Üsküda - on the Asian side of Istanbul

Bagdat Street / Beylerbeyi Palace / Maiden's Tower / Moda / Toy Museum / Anadolu Kavağı - on the Asian side of Istanbul

Taksim

Beyoğlu

Cihangir - friends of mine loved this neighborhood !!

Levent/Etiler/Ulus

Ortaköy near Beşiktaş

Nişantaşı

Beşiktaş - a personal favorite of mine

Edirnekapı - come to see the Chora Museum and have great food/wine at Asitane Restaurant

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

Of course there are absolute worlds outside of Sultanahmet. We spent several days on the Asian side of the city, and I am astounded by the growth of the city in the eastern and northern directions.

We have friends in Cihangir. and it is another favorite place for us to enjoy a great meal, or just walk the streets. I love Ortakoy best in the evenings when the bridge is a veritable light show. I miss the mosque, but it did not diminish the charm of this lovely little village.

Levent/Etiler/Ulus take one to the most modern malls I have ever seen. We enjoy walking on Nisantasi, but with our budgets, we seldom purchase anything there.

We spent four hours four years ago hopelessly lost in Edirnekapi. It is not a great day for me if I am not lost for a bit of time, but we were absolutely unable to find anything remotely familiar. I no longer try to find adventure by walking up the hill from Chora. The immediate neighborhood is, however, very pleasant.

Our daughter enjoyed the Wednesday market in Fatih as well as the neighborhoods of Fener and Balat on her last visit.

You could spend years in Istanbul and not see everything there is to see. You could also spend many years in one of the very self-contained neighborhoods and never venture far outside your own boundaries. I am confident that every citizen of Istanbul can reach at least one large shopping mall without difficulty.

While I am no longer able to walk as much as I would like to, I do explore a few interesting blocks at a time, and I enjoy automobile rides through the city, both in private vehicles and via taxi. When we find an agreeable taxi driver we occasionally ask him to select a different route so we can see new streets. This is not something I recommend for every visitor, but it has been helpful for us.

On our first return visit to Istanbul, we spent a couple of weeks only in Sultanahmet. Then I wanted to see the Kanyon Mall and asked assistance of the hotel clerk. He was simply horrified that I was going to leave Sultanahmet, and for several years I felt rather guilty every time I ventured outside of Sultanahmet.

I think my roots will always be in my little hotel in Sultanahmet, but we spend less and less time there every year. This year we visited our friends, and did what serious shopping we needed to do in the Arasta Bazaar, and we watched a sunrise and many sunsets in front of the Blue Mosque. After that we spent all of our time in other areas.

Like many huge cities, Istanbui has a multitude of neighborhoods, each with it's own character and personality. I will never see all of them, and a regular visitors with only a couple of weeks could not hope to experience many of them.

Still each neighborhood has something interesting and different to discover, be it a Cag Kebob shop somewhere rather close to Aksaray or the latest high fashion on Bagdat Street.

8. Re: Romance hotel- Need a final push..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 17, 2013