We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Istanbul Airport to Grand Bazaar

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Istanbul Airport to Grand Bazaar

I will be travelling on Turkish Airlines from Shanghai to Accra, with a connection in Istanbul. I arrive in Istanbul at 5.30am, and depart for Accra at 2.45pm. I am thinking about visiting the Grand Bazaar while I'm there. I've been advised to catch the metro to Zeytinburnu, change and then catch the tram Beyazit.

I was wondering what time I should leave the airport, and when I should catch the tram and metro back, considering that my flight leaves at 2.45pm. I have no idea how long it takes to get there, and how frequent the trains and trams are. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Istanbul Airport to Grand Bazaar

Take the tram to Eminönü, then walk about in the area until 8.30-9 and then take the tram back to Beyazit. From Beyazit it takes 45 mins with tram/metro to the airport, so if you take a tram at 1230 you will be fine. Trams are one every 2nd min., trains I guess every 5th.

So just leave the airport as soon as possible, and have a look at the life in Eminönü.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,159 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Istanbul Airport to Grand Bazaar

Jennfromoz, The public transport starts running at 06.00 so you are right on time. The metro/tram combination to Beyazit takes about 40-50 minutes. But Grand bazaar opens at 09.00. So take the tram to Eminonu, walk over Galata Bridge, enjoy the early morning hustle and bustle at the port, have some breakfast, and at 08.45 take the tram from Eminonu back to Beyazit. Enjoy the Grand Bazaar and have lunch there.You have 3 hours at the GB. And finally you have to catch the tram at noon (12.00) to be at the airport 2 hours before your Accra flight. Reverse of the same route. I assume your luggagge is checked all the way thru Accra and you already have the boarding passes. You can get the tokens for both the metro and the tram from the vending machines at the stops, for 3 TL/ride.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 1:44 am, November 26, 2012
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Istanbul Airport to Grand Bazaar

Thank you so much for your advice. I never thought about spending a little time at Eminonu, but it looks lovely, so I'll do that. Thanks again, Jennifer

4. Re: Transport from Istanbul Airport to Grand Bazaar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 17, 2013