We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Hi Folks,

"Art Istanbul"; the first week-long celebration of contemporary culture is held in one of the world's most extraordinary and culturally-rich cities, Istanbul. Art Istanbul will host a number of cultural activities, namely Turkey's leading international art fair, Contemporary Istanbul, and will also provide access to new cultural offerings, discussions and education programme working with the most prestigious institutions, museums, cultural centers and leading commercial galleries between November 19th and 25th.

Here are the relevant websites for these events:

"http://www.artistanbul.org/#/about"

"http://www.contemporaryistanbul.com/#ci12"

and the art galleries: "www.artistanbul.org/Art-Istanbul-Map-EN.pdf".

If you are in Istanbul at these dates, please make sure that you participate at some of these events.

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Hi folks,

Since our current lurkers seem not to be that much interested in culture and art, exhibitions, fairs, and art galleries, I am bumping this thread up with the additional announcement that currently (till the end of Sunday), International Istanbul Art Fair will be on at TUYAP fair Center at Gürpınar/Beylikduzu. You can reach there by Metrobus. You can take the tram from Sultanahmet to Cevizlibag, and the metrobus from from Cevizlibag to TUYAP. Here is the rail systems map of Istanbul: "…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png" (metrobus is the light brown line ending at TUYAP). Here is more on the Art fair at TUYAP: "www.istanbulsanatfuari.com/en/index.php".

I hope there are more art lovers this time around,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Hi enigma,

Sounds like a fantastic event! I guess you've posted this while I was in Moscow last week so that I didn't have the chance to see it.

Thanks for sharing

Borus

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Enigma, thank you from all of us working on our "must do/must see" lists for a return visit.

As I was viewing all your links and storing them in an ever-expanding file, I came across information on the huge event scheduled for next September...ART ISTANBUL INTERNATIONAL being showcased at the old Hoskoy yarn factory. BUT ... I kept digging and stumbled upon this link:

istanbulartinternational.com/index.php/…

What a fantastic visual review of the museums, galleries and further art spaces to be considered.There is enough information and teasing going on here that it could take just a week to appreciate these exhibits. Most I had no idea even existed.

Everyone knows of the antiquity, beauty and history of Istanbul, but how proud you guys must be at the giant steps taken and planned for becoming truly an international destination that suits and satisfies all interests in the past, present and future.

Here is another article that discusses the Big Boom in the Arts that is an exciting read:

nytimes.com/2012/…

Thanks again for getting the wheels rolling.

Sharon

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Sharon, thanks for the link to NY Times. What a wonderful read!

Borus

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Sharon, thanks for the N.Y.Times article also. Istanbul has indeed become a true international cultural center for for every taste and preference.

enigma...

bulgaria
Level Contributor
80 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Unfortunately we missed this by a week - we were in Istanbul last Thursday and returned late Sunday. If we had known about this beforehand we would have changed our dates! Did visit the Museum of Innocence which I had been looking forward to immensely. I was not disappointed. We are visiting again in March - round about 17th March - are there any festivals or cultural exhibitions on then?

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
419 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Thanks Enigma, we`ll just catch the end of it but will look to see what`s available.

Counting the days down to our arrival now !!!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Enigma, thanks for posting this info.

I was trying to get some info regarding the Tophane Art Walk. I went to their fb page, but google translate is not helping much. Is this an event were the art galleries are open in the evening, and we are free to wonder about in the galleries? From the map @artistanbul, I can see these are located at the Misir Apartmani. I'm only interested in the art, and not the after party. Please feel free to share any other info you have on this event.

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

'Since our current lurkers seem not to be that much interested'

I read everything you post enigma, and I'm very interested, however I don't remember seeing this post on November 19 - it seems to have appeared out of the blue today here in Canada (noon, Nov 21). I also scan the Ukraine forum each day and a post there today also seems to have appeared out of the blue - it's time-stamp is November 15, and there's no way I would have missed it. I'm wondering if there's been a delay in posts appearing (at least to me here in Canada, and maybe elsewhere) - I'm assuming TripAdvisor uses multiple servers anywhere in the world to render their pages, and things might not always go as expected. I was surprised yesterday when I saw only 6 or so new Istanbul posts, but today Borus's String, I mean Sting announcement is almost off the second page (or me). I sense a server/internet hiccup.

BTW, your Selcuk-Ephesus-Aphrodisias-Kusadasi trip report could have been custom written for us. Many thanks.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Week Long Celebration of Contemporary Culture

Aeolis, Thank you very much for your positive comments. I also don't know, but there could have been a server hiccup. I am also glad that you liked my Selcuk/ephesus trip report. Thank you, again.

enigma...