We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 wks in Istnbul, May30-Jun13 - Solo

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 wks in Istnbul, May30-Jun13 - Solo

I am single, turning 50 in June and this is my gift to myself: an adventure in Turkey! I am traveling to Istanbul, alone, at the end of May and want to find a land tour or other tourists to have dinners with, to explore with... I am especially interested in music, art and dance. Any tips for meeting up with other travelers, especially those interested in the culture or art scene, appreciated.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 wks in Istnbul, May30-Jun13 - Solo

Hi Deziner: Happy Birthday. I too when I turned 50 wanted to go on an adventure as a gift to mysself, I went to Nepal. But Turkey is a feast and you will definitely enjoy it. If you wish to travel outside Istanbul I would recommend Insight Travel in Istanbul, info@tour-turkey.com. They're great. I am sure other posters will be able to shed some light on your other requests. I just turned 60 and am going back to Turkey soon to do a little film. Have a great birthday and enjoy yourself. LemonLady

Bangkok
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 wks in Istnbul, May30-Jun13 - Solo

Hi Deziner

first of all happy birthday.

Late May early June is the most fabulous time of the year in Istanbul. The spring is in full motion but the weather isn't too hot (around 25 degrees I can say), not too much rain and the days are pretty long too. I feel like you can easily spend 5-6 days in Istanbul visiting around.

if you want to fly to other places such as...

Ankara - the capital, includes Ataturk's mausoleum and some history of the republic sightseeing

Cappadocia

Southwestern coast (Cesme, Bodrum, Marmaris, Antalya, Alanya etc.)

...I suggest you use one of the discount airlines rather than a bus - Ankara is only 5-6 hours depending on traffic but reaching the coast generally takes more than 10 hours and flying is much more convenient in that case. Also the prices have come down rapidly due to competitive pressures so it is not difficult to find a one-way ticket for about $60 to any of these destinations.

let me know how it goes. cheers!

istanbul
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 wks in Istnbul, May30-Jun13 - Solo

try www.gezideal.com you can find travel partners through the web site