We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Stay In Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
4 posts
Save Topic
Short Stay In Istanbul

I'm spending my summer in Cyprus, and before I go to Oxford to visit my boyfriend, I want to go to Istanbul for about a week. I've wanted to go since I learned about Istanbul forever ago, and am really excited about the chance. However, my mother is hesitant because she is not sure it's safe for a 20 year old female traveling alone. Any thoughts on this? I want to be able to convince her to let me go, but I understand her hesitation...any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Stay In Istanbul

Hi: Istanbul is safe for a solo woman. People are friendly and hospitable. Unwanted attentions (which are rare) can be dispelled by a firm "no thank you" and a smile. A 20 year female traveler anywhere in the world attracts attention. But modest dress and behaviour as well normal caution will carry you through. Having traveled to Istanbul many times now both alone and with my family I have only good things to say about this jewel of a city. You can tell your Mom that a Mother of 6 and a Grandmother of 5 says Istanbul is a great destination. Let me know where you plan to stay and I'll tell you more. LemonLady

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Stay In Istanbul

Just back from Istanbul and southern Turkey with our 4 kids. Felt completely safe! The one time I was walking alone, I was approached by many men, but never felt uncomfortable. Just smiled and kept walking. My only thoughts are that a week might be too long. We were in Istanbul for 4 days and were able to see most of the "must see" sights. We then flew down to the coast for 4 days and loved that!