We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in Istanbul 20 Nov 2012

I'm a Manchester United fan and I'm traveling to Istanbul on Nov 20th, because of the match between Manchester United and Galatasaray in Turk Telekom Stadium.

I've been trying to buy a ticket for the match online, I've got a several sites that sell tickets only to "away visitors" -in other terms, the United side of the stadium. I've been trying to get tickets on the Turkish side but didn't find any!

My three questions are:

1. Which is safer: to sit with United fans or with the Galatasaray fans? (i'm not a hooligan btw!)

2. The ticket range for United fans is 215 to 800 Euros!! Is it cheaper for the Turkish fans? if so, plz send me the sites I can buy the ticket from.

3. What time is best to be at the stadium before the match (I'm staying in Taksim area)?

Thanks for help in advance

Karam

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

karam, welcome to Istanbul.

If you are a Manchester United fan, you should sit with the other MU fans at their own sections. Galatasaray sections would be much cheaper but if you sit with them, you have to control your emotions and can not cheer for MU. Here is a website, "http://tinyurl.com/cs7jltt", that will sell the remaining tickets to general public when all GS card holders buy their own tickets first, in the first few days. You have to follow this website very closely and immediately buy a ticket if the website is available. They will be sold out within a few hours. The tickets that are sold at this website are for home fans so, if you can buy one, you will be sitting with GS fans.

You can get the physical ticket at Biletix booths near Taksim by giving them the reference number (till the day before the game). You should get a print of the receipt.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 4:11 am, September 10, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Many thanks Enigma; very helpful answers :)

Could you advise on question number 3, plz?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

karam, you are most welcome. I would be at the stadium 3 hours before the game. There is a direct metro from Taksim to Turk Telekom arena stadium. You take the metro from Taksim, get off "Sanayi Mahallesi" stop, and transfer to the other short line that goes to TT Arena. Here is the rail systems map of Istanbul. "…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png". This is the M2 metro.

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Karam

Those websites selling away tickets are a joke! I wouldn't even consider purchasing from them.

It's going to be difficult to get an away ticket if you're not a season ticket holder with United or have One United membership. My plan for this is to rely on a friend in the UK who is a season ticket holder. He should be successful in applying for tickets and hopefully I can buy his spare ticket from him after he picks them up here. I think the face value for the ticket will be about £30-£35.

Try posting on some United forums. There should be some fans coming to the game who have a spare ticket to sell.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Very helpful, thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

About those other websites with high prices, don't buy from them, it's not worth it.

They really don't have any ticket on hand, they just sell them at really high prices and then scramble to buy them once they get orders in. For high demand games it is very likely that they might not get enough tickets and they will just refund you and you'll be without tickets.

By the way, Chicharito scored twice this week, once with Mexico and again with United today!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

I know mate and i'm really happy abt it cz he's too talented and deserve to take Wellbeck's place as #3 striker but u know how it is in English football when things come to an English player!

So what to do then Irwin? shall i wait till November and then get the ticket?

I really dont wanna waste this chance, cz i'm just going to Istanbul to watch the match then back to Dubai the next day!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Many thanks ASO82, I wish I had a United member with a spare ticket.. the ticket now is 247 Euros and i think it will keep increasing :/

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

Karem, I think your best option would be to sit with the Galatasaray fans. As long as you don't cheer for United then I think it will be fine. My usual source of tickets can't make it to the game so it looks like I may have to sit with the home fans as well. I'll just purchase a Galatasaray scarf or something and pretend I'm from Germany :-)

Edited: 2:59 am, September 17, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Champion League Match: Galatasaray vs Manchester United in I

It's almost impossible for me not to cheer and go mental, ASO82 :)

I simply can't keep quiet, but I think I have to follow yr way cz the price difference is ridiculous!

How would I know when the tickets are available online?

Can I buy it with my MasterCard (I'm in Dubai)?

Can it be delivered to Dubai or I can put the hotel address where I can collect once I check-in?

Hope u can help ASO82 & Enigma

Keep the red flag flying high (I mean here both United flag and the Turkish flag) ;)

K