We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please...please...some help Istanbul end of April!!!

East Sussex
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Please...please...some help Istanbul end of April!!!

Hello Everybody,

I'm flying to Istanbul (from London) on the 22nd with my daugther (she's 32) and my mum (she's 73) and we're planning to share a family room. Any suggestions both for hotels and also things to see and do for three generations? We do like photo and walking...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Jan

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please...please...some help Istanbul end of April!!!

Hi JWatson: how lucky to be in Istanbul, now that spring is here, to paraphrase an old poem. I am glad you are walkers, Istanbul is a great walking city. I'd suggest you stay in the Sultanahmet district which is near the major tourist attractions. I don't know about family rooms but maybe Hotel Daphne can help you out. It is near Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Grand Bazaar, Basilica Cistern and near the tram that can take you to other parts of the city. Also go over to Ortokoy and see the lovely and expensive Ciragan Palace Hotel and take a walk by the Bosphorus, this is a great neighborhood rather like Soho in NYC. Eat at Morfil Restaurant (which I hope is still around), see Spice Market, take a ferry (commercial, not tourist) up the Bosphorus, see Spice Market and a hidden jowel the Rustan Camii Mosque near there. See lively Taxim, university area, lots of shops, restaurants and young people. Take a Hammam, I like Cagalogyu (mispelled probably), great place across from Grand Bazaar, eat out at restaurant on top of Acropol Hotel in Sultahmet, see great shopping street outside. Walk around the port, eat at great little fish restaurants. Go to Dolmabache (spelling again), Palace, it is a real treat. More restaurants: Develi, Haci Baba, if you want to spend and spend go to restaurant Tugra in Ciragan Palace. You'll have a great trip I am sure, enjoy yourselves. LemonLady

Mentioned in this post
Sultanahmet District
Sultanahmet District
13,791 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Daphne Hotel
Daphne Hotel
520 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Blue Mosque
Blue Mosque
28,534 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Basilica Cistern
Basilica Cistern
26,685 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
73 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Taxim Suites
Taxim Suites
122 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Tugra Restaurant
Tugra Restaurant
389 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please...please...some help Istanbul end of April!!!

Dear Jan

Hopefully there will be no rain and you will enjoy walking in Istanbul. I suppose your primary interest will be history and Sultanahmet will be the best place to stay. I checked with a boutique hotel, namely Yesilev, which is a nicely decorated old house, for family room and the rate is some 200â¬, which is high really. But there are many hotels in the area, you would easily get one.

In Sultanahmet, Topkapi Palace and Yerebatan are my favorite places. Save one dinner for Balikci Sabahattin â fish restaurant on a lovely street - be sure to make it before sunset, as you will be eating quite a lot. Also, donât miss Sultanahmet Koftecisi, ask for the original one, as there are a lot of copies around. It is generally very crowded and there may be people queing outside.

When you are finished with Sultanahmet, here are a few suggestions for walking and understanding the city life :

Firstly, taxis are not very expensive to get around. Unless you are very tight on budget, donât worry yourself to look for public transport for short distances. But you will find the rail system, also called âmetroâ in Turkish very useful. You can take it from Sultanahmet to Kabatas (last stop) and then take a taxi. This metro is not very crowded, except for rush hours, and has good view (it runs on the ground). To communicate with taxi drivers, I suggest you carry a piece of paper to write the names down. Few understand English, but should be able to understand the names when you say it, they are very clever people!

Save one day for a walk by the Bosphorus through Kurucesme, Arnavutkoy to Bebek. From Bebek, you can take a public boat to Kanlica, and see the beautiful houses by the Bosphorus. If you do not get off in Kanlica, the boat takes you back to Bebek, and you just sit there and enjoy the sea and sights.

You will need one day for Taksim, Beyoglu and Galata Tower area. Beyoglu is very crowded, be careful walking down, although there are many police around, there may be unfortunate experiences. I, myself walk down there almost everyday and have not seen anything but heard of quite a lot. Down the Beyoglu Street, you will see Cicek Pasaji, restaurant and shopping region, also donât miss Nevizade street, parallel down to Beyoglu street, with many small restaurants. On the way down, there is a patisserie, Markiz, which serves good five oâclock tea, but unreasonably expensive, just take a look inside. If you walk down a little more, there is a passage right opposite the âTunelâ, there you will find KaVe, wich is a better place to rest, before walking to the Galata Tower.

If you still have time left, take a public boat from Besiktas to Kadikoy, (asian side of the city). If you sit on the right side of the boat, you will see the Topkapi Palace and construction of the tunnel being built between the two sides of the city, and if you are really lucky you can see some dolphins swimming by the boat â my sister saw a few just yesterday. In Kadikoy, visit the shopping area, there are fish, vegetables and fruits markets, (for interesting photos), also you can eat at Ciya â which is a real âdonât missâ on my list. You can try specialities of Southeastern Turkish cousine, namely Gaziantep, which has both kebabs and various types of vegetables.

I really cannot stop writing. Hope you will have a great time and return home with beautiful pictures.

Best Regards â Yasemin

Mentioned in this post
Topkapi Palace
Topkapi Palace
22,650 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Balikci Sabahattin
Balikci Sabahattin
950 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Sultanahmet Koftecisi
Sultanahmet Koftecisi
1,463 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
73 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Bebek
Bebek
234 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Beyoglu
Beyoglu
1,062 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Galata Tower
Galata Tower
7,574 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Cicek Pasaji
Cicek Pasaji
189 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Besiktas
Besiktas
206 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Gaziantep
Gaziantep
Gaziantep Province, Turkey
East Sussex
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please...please...some help Istanbul end of April!!!

Hello Yazz,

First of all, thanks for your suggestions and comments. We are planning to stay at the Daphne hotel...suggested by lemonlady the other day. If we don't get a confirmation I'll check the one you're suggesting.

Your notes about Istanbul are really helpful and I've sent them to my daughter and mum.

Thanks again for all the trouble you had giving me so many ideas and suggestions.

Cheers

Jan

Mentioned in this post
Daphne Hotel
Daphne Hotel
520 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
536 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please...please...some help Istanbul end of April!!!

Thank you for your info...we are flying to Istanbul April 26 for our first visit ever. We are staying at the Sari Konak for the first part of the trip then off to Cappadocia and on our return will stay at the Galata Antique near Tunel.Cannot wait to try out the recommended restaurants.Hope to take a lot of pictures.Dread the thought of dealing with Taxi drivers and carpet touts but that is part of the experience, I suppose.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sari Konak
Hotel Sari Konak
853 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Galata Istanbul Hotel
Galata Istanbul Hotel
104 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey