We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

Going to Turkey. Need to take prescription medicine. Can I bring the scripts from my doctor and medicine in travel pill packs or do I have to take the bottle it came in from the pharmacy.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
190 Reviews
from $100.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,238 Reviews
from $72.25*
$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from $250.75*
$295.00
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

RickandDanaTrippin, it is better to bring the original bottels. Normally, drugs are not allowed into Turkey but prescription medication in original bottles will be.(with their prescriptions).

On the other hand, most likely you will go thru customs without an inspection.

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

Hi I always take boxes and also my repeat prescription with me. So far had no problem Angie

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

My dad always takes his in the 7 day pill packs as he has quite a lot of different tablets. He takes his prescriptions with him too.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

My daughter needs quite a lot of medicine, we travel out and in with even much more (as some some of the medicine is only available abroad and İbring for a year or so). We never encountered any problems.

Good luck!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

Actually you could run into difficulties removing your medication from original containers right here in the US. If you have sedatives or Schedule I or II narcotics the law requires that these medications remain in the original bottles in which they were dispensed. TSA recommends that all prescription medication be carried in the original dispensing bottles and that the bottles have the name of the traveling passenger on them.

I very rarely see TSA looking at anyone's pill box, but I have seen a TSA agent take pills away that were not properly identified on two occasions. Just last winter in Baltimore and elderly lady had all her medication in a weekly pack. When the TSA agent ask for the original bottles she did not have them. She did have prescriptions but she did not know which pills matched which prescriptions. Ultimately TSA confiscated all of her medication.

As I said, I think this type of inspection is very rare, and it is highly probable that you would never be challenged, but all it takes is one hyper TSA agent and your trip is impacted before you even get on the plane. Even if the chance is very slim, it is one I am not willing to take.

A prescription from a doctor can help you bring medication back into the country that you purchase outside of the US, but again, the medication needs to be in the original packaging. A prescription for medication that is not in the original container is not going to help because the prescription cannot visually identify whatever you have placed in your pill travel pack.

I fill all my medication for three months at a time, but I have my pharmacy give me pill bottles for those medications for a 30 day supply and a 14 day supply. I do not carry my large bottle of medication with me when I travel, but I keep each of my medications in the appropriate bottle with the name of the pharmacy, doctor and my name on the bottle. I pack all my medication in my carry-on. Prescription medication, like expensive jewelry has a greater chance of disappearing if packed in checked luggage, and if checked luggage is lost you will not have access to your medication.

Taking your medication out of the original containers is a low risk, but, for me, the advantage of reducing weight does not justify even the slight risk because the consequences can be serious.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

Thank you

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

bumping up for the member robertgreen99..

8. Re: Bringing perscription medicine to Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 12, 2014