We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
114 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

I would be so grateful if anyone who knows the best train to take to get from Istanbul to Ankara in September. My sister and I will be traveling around Turkey for her birthday and I am planning every detail I can before we get there. The planes seem very expensive so thought we would take a fast train. The information online is confusing so any help is appreciated.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,749 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

kiwi7kiwi, welcome to Turkey.

Unfortunately all long distance trains from Istanbul to eastern destinations have been cancelled because of the major railways and electromechanical construction for high speed trains. So there are no trains to Ankara from Istanbul.

The alternatives are a flight or a bus trip to Ankara. You can use "www.bulucak.com" (click on flag for English) for flight schedules and fares. I checked Sept 6 for you. And there are Turkish Airlines flights for 74 TL and 79 TL at good hours. (about 40 USD). That is real inexpensive. So grab those tickets while they last.

If you want to travel by bus though, there are numerous bus companies that serve Ankara. Kamil Koc, Metro Turizm, Varan Turizm are among them. Here is the website for Metro Turizm: "http://www.metroturizm.com.tr/en/index.htm".

Finally here is more on bus trips to Ankara: "turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Bus/index.html".

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 4:44 pm, May 26, 2012
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

thanks very much! I could not get it to go to English. Is IST the other airport to SAW? We are staying Sept 5 at the Courtyard Istanbul International Airport

Located at:

Basin Ekspress Yolu,Fatih Caddesi, Dereboyu Sokak No 2, Halkali · Istanbul, 34303 Turkey. i have heard it is far to get to the other Istanbul airport. How do you suggest we get to the SAW airport for the flight to Ankara? or should we book the flight from the other airport if IST is the international one by our hotel? thanks again for your help!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,749 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

kiwi7kiwi, SAW is the other airport at the other (east) end of the city, quite a distance from your hotel. Now if you want to get to SAW, you can either take a taxi which will cost about 55-60 Euros, or take the free shuttle of the Marriott Courtyard, "marriott.com/hotelwebsites/…20Shuttle.pdf" to Ataturk Airport nearby, and take the HAVATAS bus to Taksim (10 TL/person) and another HAVATAS bus from the Taksim office to Sabiha Airport (SAW) (12 TL/person). Including the shuttle service time and waiting times you would need at least 4 hours for this transfer, from your hotel to SAW. However the total price would be less than half what you would pay for a taxi for you and your sister (but you need more time). So it is your decision.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 7:02 pm, May 26, 2012
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

OK thanks. so do you think it would be better to fly out of IST for Ankara? I could not get the english version of the website you provided. Do you know any easier way to get into it?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,749 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

kiwi7kiwi, Yes, I can not get to it too. There must be a temporary malfunction of the English version. Anywyas the best I could get was for 3 different flights, IST-ESB (Ankara) for 119 TL by Turkish Airlines, which is decent. You can go to Turkish Airlines website and directly book from there. "http://www.bulucak.com/Default.aspx", and "http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/". Actually for I have found tickets for 79 TL at the airlines own website (IST-ESB). Grab them.

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

Thanks for the clear and usefull tips!

7. Re: Train from Istanbul to Ankara on Sept 6, 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 15, 2013