We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Topic
Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

I will be in both Cappodocia and Istanbul. Is there a particular performance that stands out from the rest or anyone would do?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

I guess this depends on where you will have the most time.In Istanbul there are a couple of Mevlevi(genuine dervish lodges)where you can watch a sema performance.Outside of Konya they would be the most authentic places.

Alternatively if you feel you'll have more time in Cappadocia then there are a couple of venues(several in fact) there which hold dervish performances.The best(IMHO)is the Saruhan,an old restored kervansaray,close to Avanos,a very suitable and atmospheric venue.One or two travel agencies organise their dervish evening there but others use other places so you would need to ask them if they go there or to another venue.

http://www.saruhankervansaray.com/ensema.html

Cairo
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

Peace, you can read my post about such a show in Istanbul in a place called dede efendi..Don't go there...

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d2…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

Thank you both. I absolutely will stay away from tourist trap. That's why I take the time to ask questions here.

Sari, the website you provided does not translate everything. I will in Goreme for 3 nights/4 days. Will rent a car if I have to. How long is the drive? Will it be difficult to find? In the meantime I will contact Kelebek hotel where I will be staying to see if they can find the tickets for me.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

sarikanarya said:

"The best(IMHO)is the Saruhan,an old restored kervansaray,close to Avanos,a very suitable and atmospheric venue."

I would definitely concur. Excellent venue and ceremony.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

peace on earth, another excellent place you can watch the dervish performance is at Galata Mevlevihanesi at Tunel end of Istiklal street in Istanbul. This is an authentic, non touristy performance unlike others. For details have a look: "turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…galata_tekke.html"

good luck,

enigma...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

Hi sarikanarya,

Do you know which travel agencies in Cappadocia organize the sema performance for Saruhan?

I went to the website you have provided but under the Contact, it is in Turkish.

I will in Cappadocia and thinking of attending this sema performance

rgds

voxz

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

These do,there may be others but I'm not sure who.

newgoreme.com/activities/11/Whirling-Dervish…

yamatours.com/mevlanawhirlingdervish.html

goreme.com/whirling-dervishes-ceremony.php

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
54 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

It is a short drive from Goreme to Avanos - transfers are sometime included in ticket price.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

Oh yes,you're right Suze.With these tours the transfer is included...I think it actually says that in their blurb and it is only 15-20 minutes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whirling Dervishes Ceremony

Thanks everyone.

I was under the impression that Galata Mevlevihanesi is still closed and won't be opened until end of this year. I have searched high and low for this information on the internet, the minute I thought I found something I clicked on it, it goes to Turkish website with no translation.

Does anyone have a clue?

I am going to Turkey in mid May.