We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Istanbul?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Istanbul?

what is the tradition and expectation for tipping taxi drivers, waiers and bellmen? what about tour guides?

thanks

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

A quick answer would be look in the R.Steves Istanbul book, but it could be out of date by now. (The conclusion of the year 2011)

jacksonville
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

This is a good question. I know tipping rates are different in every country I have visited. I would like to know what is expected to tip hotel staff, concierge especially, in Istanbul. Also the porter or doorman. For example, when he helps with giving directions to taxi driver for you at the hotel.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

where do i find this book? can u send a link?

frankly, i was hoping for a quickie answer from a knowledgeable person, rather than having to do research as you suggested. kind of defeats the purpose of these forums.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,726 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

Spence and paris, there is no custom of tipping taxi drivers in Turkey. What you can do is give him his fare rounded to the next few liras. For example 37.5 TL could be 40 TL, and you can tell him to keep the change. I personally do not tip taxi drivers in Istanbul.

Hotel staff can be tipped when you are leaving. However you can give the bellboy a 5 TL tip for carrying your bags to your room. The doorman and concierge can be tipped also before you leave and 10 TL would probably be the minimum tip. Also the lady who cleans the rooms can be tipped as such. I would not tip anyone for giving directions only.

I tip the waiters minimum 10 % of the total bill (if I am happy) and an extraordinary and outstanding service may even deserve 15% tip.

Tour guides can also be tipped about 10-15% of their fees. For example a 20 Euro tip would be fine for a 150 Euro fee.

good luck,

enigma...

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

Tipping the bell boy depends on the price range of your hotel. You would tip at least 10TL, and if you have more than two pieces of luggage , more than that at a four or five star hotel.

I also leave a tip at the reception if I am happy with their service and the room I have been given. $20 was considered a minimum at Sofitel in Chicago , normal at Ciragan, Hilton or Four Seasons in istanbul and a bribe for an unidentified purpose at Baku, Azerbaijan. (actually, our room was quickly changed to a corner junior suite)

In case of taxis and other hotel staff, I would tip as I do in the United States usually. However, the room maids may not understand it if you just leave your tip on your bed as I do in the US, and you probably should tip in person. I tip the doorman only if he helps with the luggage or calls a cab and opens the car door, etc. and then not more than 5TL. The fact that he may be in livery does not entitle hinm to a higher tip.

A concierge desk helpful with directions, reservations, tours, rental cars, etc. although usually have their own kickbacks, will probably deserve a 5TL tip (more if he has helped you a great deal).

Istanbul, Istanbul...
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

I never tip on taxis, they are just too expensive and i dont waste a single penny on them

waiters bellmen...: turkey isnt much of a tipping society like europe so they would be happy to see one lira (they are not expecting to be tipped but i dont know about tourists)

HOWEVER! If this is a hotel, pay something like 5-10 lira

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

Are you sure that waiters and bellmen don´t expect a tip nowadays? So I suppose that we mostly met the wrong people because most of them expected a tip higher than one Lira and none of them refused, taxi drivers neither.:-). And it was alright for me, they do the same job as in other countries, so why shouldn´t I tip them similar....

It´s always somewhat difficult to tip reasonable and approporiate, at least for me.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

Patara, you are a compassionate person. I am sure you get excellent service at hotels.

Waiters and bellmen survive on tips. In many countries they do not get a wage or if they do it is minimum wage.

i have never met a waiter or bellman in all of my 67 years in Turkey who did not expect to be tipped. Hoever, I saw a waiter give a few coins back to a low tipper and heard him say, "apparently, you need this much more than I do"

9. Re: Tipping in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, January 23, 2013