We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

I'll be in Istanbul during Passover this coming April 2012. I'd like to find a family or community seder to attend while I am there. Anyone have any contacts in the Jewish community in Istanbul I could connect with about this?

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Have a look at this web page - it gives the contact details of some of the synagogues in Istanbul and also of the Chief Rabbinate. Burak, whose website this is, posts here and was a DE, so he may be able to help further.

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/jews.htm

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Hummingbird, Here is more on the visits to synagogues in Istanbul: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3617…".

enigma...

Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Thanks for your suggestion. Here's the thing - a seder is not the same as a service. Traditionally, they are held in private homes. In the US, the community may come together to do a big group seder but I'm not sure if they do this kind of thing in Turkey. Just the same, I will try contacting the chief rabbi and see if he has any suggestions. I'll let you know how I make out.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

I agree that contacting the Rabbinate is a good idea because although I doubt that there is a community seder in Istanbul, they may be able to arrange home hospitality for a seder, which many Jewish communities around the world offer to visitors from out of town at Passover.

Please do come back and report if you are able to make the needed arrangements.

Edited: 11:47 am, December 15, 2011
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
236 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Some years ago my son was traveling to Peru and I (good Jewish mother that I am ) called the Peruvian consulate in my city who forwarded info to Lima, found a family who invited my son and two friends for seder. This was pre-internet, so far more work for the consulate, but they and the Jewish community were wonderful!

You could also contact Chabad in your home city, and they may be able to give you contacts for orthodox families.

Contexttravel.com has a tour of Jewish Istanbul so they may have local knowledge that would be helpful.

And please do let us know if you are successful!

6. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, July 14, 2016
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

The Chief Rabbi is named Haleva and he has a son who is also a rabbi. His synagogue is in Ortakoy and if you would contact the chief rabbinate they could help you with this. I know that if you show up for services ( after obtaining the proper clearance) they could help you. There are many couples and families that love visitors. Also, check out Rav Chitrik, the Chabad rabbi there, because he always has guests. Look him up in a Chabad directory as his info is not online.

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Hi Hummingbird1 Did you every find a Passover seder? We are looking for a seder for next month, could use any advice. Thanks!

Washington...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Hi greendoc99, I think we're in the same boat. I'm an American Jewish college student, and I'll be in Istanbul during Pesach. If you do find an English/Hebrew seder, let me know! I'll be sure to do the same.

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trying to find a Passover seder in Istanbul

Fred--I have some new developments. Feel free to e-mail me at greendoc99@gmail.com, and I will explain. Sarah