We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of living

Glasgow, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
cost of living

moving to Istanbul soon for possibly 12 months. Accomodation paid for but I need to know the general cost of living for a single person. Possibly go out at night twice a week. Rest of the time eat at home.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of living

It is impossible to say - it depends what you buy, where you shop, what your tastes are, what your expenses are etc.

To be honest, it is pretty much the same as Glasgow or London - you can shop and eat cheaply, or you can be more extravagant. You can pretty much live within any budget you choose to set yourself (especially if your living costs are paid for - and I assume utility bills too).

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of living

Depends where you go and if you like to drink. And what you like to drink. Beer is the cheapest but if you prefer wine or mixed drinks, it's much more expensive than in the UK.

If your accommodation and bills are paid for, you'll be fine. Presuming you'll be earning?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of living

I have been wondering about inflation. The USD is on a great position right now, buy if every place has increased prices it probably will make no difference. What has happened to the price of bread, fruit, vegetables and meatballs in the last few months?

Glasgow, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of living

Will be earning approx 2500tl per month. Eat out two or 3 times a week. rest of the time will cook myself. Like efes. Non-smoker. Gym. how much for football match?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,155 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of living

Johnny, If your apartment is already paid, then you can spend 2,000 TL of that money for food and personal expenses and even save the 500 TL/month. This is comfortable living, eating out about twice a week. No expensive restaurants. You can also save money for some gifts.

enigma...

Glasgow, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of living

Thak you for the reply. That's about £190 per week. Was hoping i could save a bit more!! I will be working 6 days a week so won't be out every night. How much is a bottle of efes in Siski area? Could you possibly give me a breakdown of basic foods eg bread, milk, chicken and veg?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of living

A bottle of Efes is around 5-8Tl is bars but cheaper from the supermarket.A loaf of bread is 1-2TL dpending on the type you buy.Mİk 1.50TL a litre,coffee 200gm packet 7TL,a whole chicken at the moment is around 5TL per kg,m

nce around 22TL per kg.veg is going up due to recent bad weather but green beans 3TL peppers 2.50TL,spuds 1.25TL onions the same,tomatoes 1.25TL and cucumbers the same.

Eating out you can get a good evening meal in a local lokanta's where local people eat for 10-12TL.Not haute cuisine but clean,wholesome tasty food and cheap too.

Something to think about;the minimum monthly wage here is just under 700TL and there are millions of people in Istanbul get by on this whilst paying rent,feeding and schooling their kids,paying gas and electric etc.I'm not saying it is easy for them but they do it so 2500 a month just for food and leisure you can live well and still save a goodly sum each month.

Oh footie tickets vary from 40TL up to 300TL depending on the match and the seats.

As you'll be working most of the time,don't smoke and probably too tired to do much partying other than the occasional Efes you can aim to tuck away 1500TL a month and maybe more.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of living

Can I ask what work you'll be doing?

Efes is about 3.25 from the tekel (off-licence) and anything from 4 to 10 in a bar.

Bread is usually 75kr.

Veg is cheap, buy what's in season, from your local street market if you can.

glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of living

Hey

I'm currently teaching English in İstanbul and I make around 2600 lira a month. 500 of this housing allowance. I've only been here for a month but I can say that the cost of living is definitely cheaper than in the UK. As previous posts have said you can buy food for really cheap at the local markets and there are some decently priced Turkish restaurants you can eat out at without breaking the bank. The only thing I have found to be expensive is alcohol. Beer is fine but many of the spirits are imported in and subject to a hefty import tax! I paid 15 lira (over 5 quid) for a rum mixer! So buying Turkish spirits or drinking beer is a good way to keep costs down.

If you have any other questions ask away. I would be happy to help out a fellow Glaswegian!

Sarah

Glasgow, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of living

Sarah, I have been offered an EFL post to start on 24th October but they are dragging their feet when sending a contract. I want to book my flight today but cannot until everything is done and dusted. I phone on skype several times a day and also email. Spoke to school a couple of times but it just feels as if I am getting nowhere fast . HELP!!