We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
103 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

We are going to Turkey next week and we have some spare US$. I know everyone says the best way is to withdraw from ATMs to get Turkish currency, but if we take US$ will we be able to use them for general spending / tips / to pay for any trips? Thanks in advance.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

Not really.... You can use them to pay for hotels and for some purchases in the bazaars etc but it would be the same as trying to use US $ in London.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

We had some US dollars a few years ago and we changed them into TL as we got an excellent rate.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

If you are going to change them, use the exchange shops around the Grand Bazaar that charge no commission. That is where you will get the best rate.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

That is where we changed ours.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

I feel the need to stress that most Turkish people seem to prefer to be tipped in TL. Several years ago I spent all my TL tipping the people who managed our luggage at the airport. I had no more TL to tip the man who pushed my wheelchair. I gave him 10Euros, and he was very unhappy.

It is also impossible to add a tip if you pay for a meal with a debit or credit card. There is no place on the receipt to add a tip so you need to have enough cash to tip your server.

I would use my USD to pay for my hotel bill, but I would not use them for general purchases. It is just too complicated. You have to make sure that the person receiving the USD knows the current exchange rate, and that he will give you accurate change. It is Turkey, and the best way to manage money in Turkey is with TL.

You can also pay for your Visa with USD if you wish to do that.

Petaling Jaya
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

Hi all,

Would any of you know roughly what the exchange rate is for US$ against the Turkish lira at the money changers? I'm going to Istanbul next week and have been advised to take US$ there as the exchange rate for Turkish Lira at the money changers in Malaysia is ridiculously high.

Would it be better to change form money changers in the Grand Bazaar (as advised here) or at the banks?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Po Wen

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

hi pow,,,,the turkish bank rate for doller to turkish lira is,,1,7765,at the mow,,it will be a little less in ex shops but not a lot,,click on to GARANTE, BANK,,HOME PAGE,,,you get rates on there, have a good trip,,,

Petaling Jaya
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

Thanks EnglandBazz. If the difference is not much, I guess it's better to convert my US$ over in Istanbul then rather than change it back home in Malaysia. Cheers.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,720 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

powen, definitely change them in Turkey. Sometimes banks give even better rates than exchange offices. I just checked Garanti Bank, and the rate they offer is 1.78 TL for the US Dollar, currently. "http://www.garanti.com.tr/en".

good luck,

enigma...

Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I use US Dollars in Turkey?

You could possibly use US dollars at Carrefour or Migros, cashiers will give you change in Turkish Lira and show you the conversion rate on the grocery receipt.

We have not had any problems using a large usd bill to pay for small purchases - water/fruits/ice cubes - at Carrefour or Migros.

The conversion rate we got at a Carrefour in Milas today was excellent; 1.78TL for the usd