We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul Museum Pass

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul Museum Pass

Hi,

Last week a new museum pass for foreigners have been announced and I mentioned it in another post, but I suspect that it might be buried in that post so I'm opening a new post for this topic. Here is the information:

The card has just been announced and it's called ''MUSEUM PASS İSTANBUL''. Now it's available for tourists too but with different prices compared to the Museum Card for the locals. So far it's valid only in Istanbul, like I mentioned in earlier posts it will be available all around Turkey but this will come gradually, probabily at the end of the tourist season.

Museum Pass Istanbul is valid for 3 days and costs 72 TL per person (approximately 34 euros). It gives one-time access to all the museums of the Ministry of Tourism in Istanbul, such as in Topkapi palace (excluding Harem section), Hagia Sophia, Archaeological museum, Turkish & Islamic arts museum, Mosaics museum, Kariye museum, and so on. It can be bought from Tourist Information offices in Istanbul and from some of the big hotels.

It's not valid for the Municipality museums (Cistern, 1453 Panorama, Miniaturk, etc) and for the museums of the Turkish Parliament (Dolmabahce palace, Beylerbeyi palace, Yildiz palace etc).

Burak

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Great information Burak.

It is definitely worth it for people who are going to try and see as many of the must-see historical sites as they can... The main sites (Topkapi Palace, Haghia Sophia etc) cost 20TL each and so if you plan to visit more than three, you will be making a saving.

Is there a special line for people who have the Passes so they do not have to queue? This would be another big advantage!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

GTTD,

the huge lines at the museums are for buying the ticket. So, if you already have your museum pass (or ticket or whatever) in your hand you don't wait at the ticket line and go directly to the entrance where there is the security check (at Topkapi and Hagia Sophia x-rays) and then automatic machines to get in. So, the answer is "Yes", if you have the museum card you don't wait (much) in queues..

Like you said, if you visit 3+ museums in 3 days period you're making a saving for sure..

Burak

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Thanks for this very helpful post, Burak. Sounds like a great purchase for historical site fans like me.

Graz
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Could you give me a complete list of the museums I could visit with the pass or a complete list of the once I cannot visit (I tried to google it but I couldn´t find anything)? A link would be good too. Thanks

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Thank you very much, Burak. The German forum will appreciate this info:-).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

That's terrific news Burak and good timing too:) Well for me anyway.

Do the 3 days have to be consecutive? I'm assuming yes but hoping no.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,981 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Familytraveller, yes they are consecutive. After 72 hours from the time of purchase, the ticket expires.

I wish I could share some of the enthusiasm of the previous posters. I am rather disappointed that 3 consecutive days limit is put on the card and people are forced to see all the state museums in three days. There are quite a number of visitors who stay more than three days and this restriction makes the card somewhat inconvenient. 72 TL is not a bad price, although a lot of museums (all municipal museums, all national assembly museums, and all private museums) are not included. However since the visitors no longer stand in line to get a ticket and since it offers some savings for seeing four or more state museums, it is still a worthwhile deal. Hopefully it will be sold at the Airports very soon.

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

GrazGirl,

Here are some of the museums in Istanbul which are run by the Ministry of Tourism therefore you can use the Istanbul Museum Pass (or Müzekart in Turkish). All other museums which are NOT mentioned here do not accept the Museum Pass:

Topkapi palace (excluding Harem section), normaly costs 20 TL

Ahasofya (Hagia Sophia), normaly costs 20 TL

Archaeological museum, normaly costs 10 TL

Kariye (St.Saviour in Chora), normaly costs 15 TL

Fethiye (Pammakaristos), normaly costs 5 TL

Turkihs & Islamic Arts museum, normaly costs 10 TL

Great palace Mosaics museum, normaly costs 8 TL

Adam Mickeiewic museum, normaly costs 3 TL

Rumelihisar fortress, normaly costs 3 TL

If I'm not wrong it should also include Islamic Science & Technology museum too.

I hope this helps.

Burak

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Is it just me, or with this list of included places and their regular ticket prices, it really seems not very much monetary savings? However, the real savings to me would be skipping all the long lines to purchase tickets at each site.

Graz
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Istanbul Museum Pass

Thanks so much Buraksan, this is a great help to me :)

Unfortunately I´ve got to see now what Cinti said as well, I´d need to know I´d at least visit 5 of those museums mentioned to have any savings... This makes me think if it will really be worth it...

Could you give me an idea how long the cues to the hagia sophia and the Topkapi palace are? Do you think youd spend more than an hour waiting for a ticket rather than less?