We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incredible moralism

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Incredible moralism

The Zabata (city police) now refuse the restaurants in Sirkeci til have cushions outside. The reason is that it is too easy to engage in un-turkish activities like kissing and hugging when you sit in cushions. So they reduce the value of Istanbul as a tourist resort. I do not know at which level this is decided. Quite silly and almost incredible.

Iceland
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incredible moralism

Is it allowed to carry my own pillow?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incredible moralism

Depends what you will do on it :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incredible moralism

What is it these days with the cushions? I see that people on the Olu Deniz forum are up in arms that the bean bags have been banned from the beach!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incredible moralism

And there were talks about children not be allowed into meyhanes which may include seafood restaurants. I don't know what's the latest on that but it's not looking too good. Step by step.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
203 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incredible moralism

There is a general theme among several threads that the present pro-Islamic government is doing all it can to discourage the tourist industry, witness the very recent massive rise in taxes on alcohol. We've been to Turkey for about the last 8 or 9 years, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned about how the place is going. Will I need to carry a marriage certificate to be able to kiss my wife in public, or use a credit card to afford a bottle of Efes? I've a horrible feeling that it's going the way of Tunisia, which is one holiday destination that we certainly won't be returning to.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incredible moralism

I have followed the cushion issue ASO with interesting and dismay. It seems that there are indeed some strict and perhaps too pro islamic trends in Turkey, since a while. It would be interesting to hear how the locals estimate this development, it´s always very delicate to give an opinion as foreigner.

Let´s hope that this country won´t have a roll backwards.

Edited: 11:16 am, April 11, 2011
Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Incredible moralism

So it would seem that despite the enthusiasm of certain regular forumites for the Sirkeci area (maybe they're too decrepit to be bothered by it :-) ), it would seem to be an area to steer clear of.

Such moves would certainly not go down too well in my part of the world, but as our Mayor is not a member of the AKP, it's very unlikely.

I would also start to get worried if the only person I was allowed to kiss in the street was my (male) insurance broker and no one else!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incredible moralism

It appears, from my point of view, to be a silly law. Of course, We were is Sirkeci in November, and I cannot think of a single restaurant I saw in Sirkeci that had cushioned areas outside. We had lunch in one restaurant that had some areas with cushions. As Dudisimo kindly points out, I am much too decrepit to select a cushion on the floor over a chair, so it is not something that will personally impact me. I am also not inclined to public displays of affection so am not going to be intimidated in this area either.

When I lived in Turkey in the 1960s I thought that with the passage of decades the country would become more liberal. On many levels it feels as if there is political pressure to encourage more conservative values. I understand how this feels as a visitor, and I assume some Turkish people are not happy about it either.

I am not convinced that the justification is valid. I see very few signs of public affection in Istanbul between members of the opposite sex, and almost none of the couples involved are Turkish.

I certainly hope that the government is not attempting to discourage tourists from visiting Turkey. A severe decline in tourism would be a disaster for thousands of people who make a living in the tourist industry, and one would think it would not be a good move for the Turkish economy in general.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Incredible moralism

I've been hearing about several things along these lines lately. As Kozano said, "step by step."

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Incredible moralism

Yes, unfortunately.