We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Topic
Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

Here's a link to a new feature on favourite cities around the world.

It looks as though the internet marketeers haven't got at these hotel reviews yet, which makes a welcome change.

guardian.co.uk/travel/interactive/2011/feb/2…

You need to select Istanbul in the box - sorry, but no direct link available.

Edited: 9:10 am, February 25, 2011
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

Thanks for the link - glad to see that one of my favourites got a mention!

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

I'm not surprised at all that Empress Zoe was listed first! Thanks for the link, Dudisimo.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
6,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

Yes Empress Zoe - that is where we stayed on our very first visit to Istanbul. That was before we discovered TA - luckily it was at the recommendation of an Australian friend who had stayed there before. Lovely small quirky hotel, and spoiled me for ever wanting to stay anywhere in Istanbul other than in the heart of Sultanahmet.

Interesting to read of some other hotels I have not come across mentioned here on TA before. Also I clicked on the "Read More about Istanbul" link and spent a happy afternoon reading some previous articles in the Guardian (including the "Blog by Blog" guide which mentions the excellent blog "Locally Pera" of our very own excellent DE, Alper!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,788 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

Some good hotels are in that list like Ibrahim Pasha and Büyük Londra. Unfortunately I see no reviews by customers who actually stayed at the listed hotels. And very good hotels like Four Seasons Sultanahmet, Pera Palace, etc. are missing. A very incomplete list.

enigma....

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

It doesn't pretend to be an extensive guide to hotels and you can find plenty of readers' hotel, restaurant and site revews if you search diligently.

Even on TA the Pera Palace only has 7 reviews that date from its re-opening.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

Also it needs to be taken in context I guess - it is the Guardian and so it is going to be looking more at the quirky, arty and independent (in the same way as Rough Guide and Wallpaper guide would have vastly different criteria from each other ).

For me, the main point is that it is just good to see such a mainstream UK publication recognising Istanbul as being the excellent destination we all know it is, and that they included in their 32 featured cities.

Edited: 5:18 am, February 26, 2011
7. Re: Guardian's top Istanbul hotels and interactive guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, October 23, 2012