We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what size lirashould iget

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
981 posts
50 reviews
what size lirashould iget

i know we should have smaller lira bills but can someone tell me what size i should request if i am exchanging dollars in the usa... thank you

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: what size lirashould iget

Hi

20's and 10's will be the most useful with some 50's for larger purchases. Try to avoid 100's unless you know you'll be going for very large purchases or maybe if you're going to pay cash for your hotel.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
2. Re: what size lirashould iget

I agree that 20TL notes are the most useful; however, unless you have a unique bank in Encinitas it is going to cost you more to exchange currency here in the US than it will when you reach Istanbul.

Most of us just use a convenient ATM and obtain amounts of TL for a few days. The exchange rate using the ATM is much better than what I have ever been able to get in the US.

Alternatively you can also exchange your USD in Istanbul and receive a better exchange rate than you will in the US. The last time I checked the exchange rate in Istanbul was $1USD to 1.57TL. In the US the best quote I could get on Friday was $1USD to 1.40TL....a difference of $17 when you purchase $100USD of TL.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
981 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: what size lirashould iget

thank you for that info. so, i should only bring dollars with me??. should i exchange some at airport atm, someone said previously that atms cost the same as getting money/lira from atm at front of the bazaars. whats your opinion?? appreciate your help a i am traveling solo to meet friends...

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: what size lirashould iget

Hi encinitassusan,

Yes, only bring dollars with you. When you arrive at the airport in Istanbul, you can either change your dollars to lira at the airport exchange office or use an airport ATM to get Turkish Lira.

Some people rely mostly on ATMs, while some bring a decent amount of cash and also use their ATM cards when traveling in Turkey. I do the latter as I don't want to be caught with only a small bit of cash should some crazed ATM machine eat my ATM card. When I've exchanged money at the currency exchange office the airport, I've noticed that while the exchange rate is a tiny bit higher than some other places, it's not that significant, and you'll need some Turkish Lira to get you from the airport to your hotel, etc.

On important thing to remember is to notify the bank that issues your ATM card that you'll be traveling to Turkey. If you don't, they may freeze your card. My card was recently frozen because I was traveling in another state and hadn't notified them in advance. Not all banks do this, but some do and many more are beginning to.

Jo

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: what size lirashould iget

I also want to add to notify your credit card companies prior to leaving, as I've had a credit card frozen recently as well because of what they considered suspicious activity.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
981 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: what size lirashould iget

thank you for the helpful info...

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
7. Re: what size lirashould iget

I thought Canmom might want to add her advice about ATMs to this thread, but as she is not here I will pass it along. She always recommends that you use an ATM attached to a bank and that you use it only during bank hours. If something happens with the ATM and it eats your card, you just have to walk inside the bank to seek assistance.

For the most part this is what I do, but on occasion I get TL from the collection of ATMs near Aya Sofya in Sultanahmet. I have, just on my last visit, observed a tourist lose his card in one of those ATM machines. A year ago when we were in Istanbul with Canmom she also saw someone lose their card. She had a cell phone and Turkish language skills and was able to rescue this poor person. I was not of much help to the victim I saw because my husband was not with us, and I have no Turkish language skills. A nice bi-lingual Turkish person did step up to help him. Those experiences make me think it is probably wise to follow her advice; although, as I stated, I do occasionally violate that policy.

My bank is very sensitive to my travels. At the suggestion of my branch manager I travel with the international phone number for the fraud department of my bank. I have never had to call the fraud department of my bank from Istanbul, but a handful of other people who bank at my branch have had difficulties, mostly in Latin America. Like Osumom, I did have my card suspended a couple of years ago right in the US when we were in the state of Washington.

It is wise to notify your bank and also to have some back-up phone numbers so you can contact your bank immediately if something goes wrong.

Like Osumom I also used to carry a significant amount of money in case of an emergency, but as I continually misplaced it, inducing panic, I have stopped carrying thousands of dollars in cash. I have decided that the risk of a total ATM malfunction from all of my cards is better than the risk that I will misplace my emergency funds.

Generally I hate using ATMs because I do not like my card to disappear. I only use the swipe ATMs in the US, and even then not often. In Istanbul, however, it is exceptionally convenient and in spite of my ATM paranoia nothing even remotely bad has ever happened to us.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: what size lirashould iget

You're more than welcome, encinitassusan. Have a great trip.

9. Re: what size lirashould iget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, January 19, 2012