We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

We visited Arycanda, Myra, Saint Nicholas, Kekova, Ucagiz, Kas, Patara, Letoon, Fethiye, Kayakoy, Gemiler, Birgi, Sardis, Aizanoi.

Stayed at Telemenin Evi in Ucagiz, Villa Rhapsody at Kayakoy, and Cinaralti Pansiyon in Birgi.

I would like to give special thanks to VR and Mr. VR for making us feel so much at home, the terrific gardens, breakfast and dinner.

The two B&Bs, telemenin Evi and Cinaralti pansiyon surpassed our expectations. The owners were pleasant and the locations were excellent.

The roads were mostly good and the increase in divided highways with the new 110k/hr speed limit on them made it possible to do the over 2000 kilometer trip in such a short time.

Brought back lots of fresh produce, olive oil (6TL a liter for 0.3 acidity oil at factory in Birgi), goat cheese and honeydew.

There were not many complaints from Mrs and DD since i did almost all the driving.

The long, detailed and literary trip report is on Fodor's lounge if you wish to smile and read about lots of cats and other animals:

fodors.com/community/fodorite-lounge/fumblin…

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Nice to know there's a pension at Birgi. Thanks.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Well, Otherchelebi, I have read your blog with utmost pleasure and zest and can highly recommend it to all forumites who aren´t only interested in facts but will enjoy a very personal and special point of view of all your travel adventures and experiences:-).

As to stormy Patara, we often had this strong wind but as you have noticed, Germans are hardy people who are used to brave the elements, lol.

And what about some nice photos?

Tschüss

patara01

Edited: 8:33 am, October 12, 2010
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

You could post your report in the general Turkey forum.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

David, mehmet poyraz opened his B&B in 2008. It was drawn by a professor, all the woodwork was done by one of his sons who is a carpenter and furniture maker, and the decoration by the other son who works as a decorator in odemis. Rather sparse but with nice touches andexcellent workmanship.

Patara. Thank you very much again, for your encouraging words. It is due to a few like you that i continue writing like this. I found in the last 18 months i have been posting on trip Advisor, that most of the posters and DEs do not care much for humor and personal remarks. That is why i have started posting my trip reports on Fodor's Lounge where there is some humor and literary discussion as well.

I started posting initially on TA, and although i erased about 500 posts and 8 reviews a year ago when TA Mike told me that TA was not interested in my type of writing and i should cease.

However, i have all the excellent friends i made on TA, with or without the humor appreciation and enjoy exchanging posts. So i continue to post.

Iyi Aksamlar

OC

australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Otherchelebi,thankyou for the link to your writing on Fodors. this is just the sort of writing I have been looking for in vain on Tripadvisor. My husband and I have been to Turkey twice and are planning to come again. we want to really get off the tourist track and it is this sort of writing that is giving me ideas about how we can plan our next trip. Thank you.

Sally

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Hi OC, thanks for posting the link to the excellent informative and amusing report on your recent trip. I really enjoyed your tales of your travel in Mediterranean Lycia (an area I know and love) as well as learning about the Aegean area (yet to be explored!) and felt your fears regarding the disappearance of your boatman in Kekova - fortunately only temporary - and laughed at the image of your poor daughter stuck in the back of the car amidst an ever growing pile of local produce !! I also chuckled at some of the confusion that ensued regarding the Durrell brothers and whether by Angora (red wine) you were referring to a cat or a rabbit!!!

Pls keep posting with your usual insight and humour and ignore what the TA killjoys have to say (I still remember your Madrid hotel review - now unfortunately lost here for posterity!)) . It is your type of posts and reviews that give lifeblood to the forums which can become somewhat tedious otherwise!

I am currently planning our adventures for today - will it be to Xanthos and Patara or not - all depends upon the weather - which is looking a bit grey and unpromising at the moment!!

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

34 knots of wind in sheltered Club Marina here on Friday night, which made everything feel a bit cold!

Now it feels warmer, but rain threatens!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Patara and Xanthos in rain isn´t a big hit. It is pretty stormy normally at this time and might be even more "inhospitable" at rainy days. But you shouldn´t miss it, just wait for a better day:-)).

Enjoy

patara01

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

Thanks attagul,

Patara will be murder with the fine sand blowing. Xanthos could be OK, because it is next to a town, at pinara you could be blown off.

I am trying to remember an antique town on a hilltop between Gocek and Fethiye, about 20-30 minutes drive towards the mountains from the highway, through a village which even had a few Brit homes, under some lovely pine trees. If you have not been there, it could be allright even in this weather.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Lykia to Lydia and back in 5 days/4 nights

OC, do you mean Uzumlu?