We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

the news agencies here in the States are reporting a state dept "alert" for americans traveling overseas. there is the possibility of an al qaeda attack in France,England and Germany against Americans. vague information,but probably a good idea. just wondering if anyone planning on traveling to Europe from the US is concerned or thinking of cancelling their trips.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

Well that just makes me even more pleased that we fly non-stop from NYC to Istanbul avoiding France, England and Germany. Actually, if we did have to land and/or change planes in Europe this notification would not change my plans. I am rather weary of State Department "alerts", and have just decided to live my life on my own schedule. I still know that the greatest risk I will experience on my next trip is the travel between my home and the airport.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

Because this is the Istanbul forum, you might get better luck posting this question on the Germany, France, & England forums.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

I posted this on the UK forum,I post there also.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

There is a warning on the Netherland Forum too, perhaps because it is lying in between the mentioned ones.

I hope sincerely that nothing will happen, as so often before, just a sabre rattling, but of course we can´t be sure.

On the other hand the risk to get involved is very little. And we live with this risk and most of us even don´t think about it all the time.

But it´s a very personal decision if foreigners will visit the countries or not.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

How do get more US citizens to vote in the Mid-Term Elections?

Scare them into not going abroad!!

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

The State Dept.'s alert does not say that there is a possibility of a terrorist attack "against Americans", rather it states that "there are potental terrorist attacks in Europe" - nothing new there, then.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_europe.html

This a a pretty well-balanced account of what has been going on:

guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/03/europe-comm…

YYC
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

This is kind of a "damed it they do, damed if they don't " post. I would not change my travel plans, others may have a different opinion.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

Completely agree that people should not change their travel plans. I wouldn't. Seems odd/alarmist that this was posted on the Istanbul forum.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

The issue got a bit of play in the news in the US yesterday. I think it is something that anyone traveling anywhere in Europe might consider when planning a trip abroad. There is, as Dudisimo points out, no specific threat to Americans. I tend to agree with the poster who says it is just a way to get US citizens to stay home and vote rather than travel to Europe.

There is nothing wrong with addressing this issue on the forum. Traveling with the inherent dangers is just something everyone must consider for himself. Most of us have come to terms with this personal decision, and can only offer our own personal philosophies about the dangers of traveling....be it a terrorist attack, a crashing airplane or an earthquake. Bad things can happen, but statistically there is a very slight risk that any of these events will happen to any of us. If you are brave enough to drive to the airport you will have survived the greatest statistical risk to your well being on your trip to Turkey.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: latest warning on terrorism for US travelers

I'll be touring Turkey next month and connecting on flights through Europe both directions. I have no plans to change my trip in the least! If anything, I would think that with all the "added security", this would make this a perfect time to travel :)