We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

I think I have asked this before - but I can't quite remember the answer....

As everyone's thoughts are still with football following the World Cup, I was wondering about the Istanbul teams - and how people come to support one or the other.

Is it purely that people support the ones that play close to where they live? Or do they have any association with universities? Are there political or social differences? Or are there other reasons?

Or is one just better than the other?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Ohhhh GTTD,what a mega huge can of worms you will have opened with this.LOL!The answer is naturally that one is better than the other.Fenerbahce is always going to be the better team.................................................................................................................................................they are just having a bit of a hiccup at the moment ...but all will change this season!'

There,that's the lid nicely off☺☺ Next!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Oh dear!

Fenerbahce is my team, although the only reason for this is that the young girl who used to do all the cooking in the hotel we used to stay in in Kas, supported Fenerbahce. She was a lovely girl, we came to know her quite well, and so it followed that we would adopt her football team.

Edited: 10:47 am, August 14, 2010
Istanbul
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Many years ago my dad bought me a Fenerbahce's t-shirt and took me to the game of Fenerbahce againts Galatasaray when I was a kid. It was unforgetable and enjoyable day for me. After that game I just started to support Fenerbahce from that day even I was not born in Istanbul.

There is no any political or social reason to be fan of any Turkish football team. We just love the colours of our teams:)

Local,

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

I cannot say about the past.

But today they are all three national rather than local teams :

- besiktas seems to have more supporters because of the location, and also has a school connection.

- galatasaray has many supporters because of the connection to the school and to wealth.

- fenerbahce has the most supporters because of image, PR and ease of identification.

- my younger daughter used to support FB like the rest of us, but a GS supporter started beating her up on the school bus and she changed her loyalty when she was ten. Her husband was bought for a jersey, a cap and a towel by a friend who was on the board of GS and of'course because of threats of violence by my daughter, who learned how to swing people to her side at a tender age.

-My father and brother, both graduates of GS, did not influence me, but my aunt's husband did.

- My wife says she was born a FB fan.

- My older daughter was stronger than any boy in her school bus.

Edited: 11:08 am, August 14, 2010
Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

So you eldest daughter presumably plays in FB Ladies central defence, OC? :-)

When staying in Selimiye a couple of years ago there was a 40'ish couple staying in the same place who were very definitely FB fans - she had an FB bikini, he had FB swimming shorts, both had FB beach towels. We imagined that their entire wardrobes bore the FB logo!

Besiktas having bought Guti from Madrid, I wouldn't be betting on their chances this year, but I'd invest any spare cash in expensive nightclubs.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

OK - so no real reason to support one over another - except maybe colour choice?! Or family alliegences.

Do they play against each other in any kind of a league (in the way we have league games inthe UK?).

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Oooh yes they certainly do,it is the Sportoto Super League(like the UK premier league)and this is hotly contested every season with the final out come often decided in the last matches of the season.Local derby matches are always an immediate sell out with all tickets sold within a couple of hours and some later changing hands on the black market for two and three times their face value.

FB,GS,BJK and TS are always there but the last couple of years have also seen a rise in the Anadolu teams most notably Sivas,Kayseri,Antalya and Bursaspor who won the league last season.

As anyone who follows it knows;football isn't a matter of life and death...it's far more important than that ☺

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Come GTTD, the reasons i gave you were not real?

What kind of reason would you consider real? Political, ethnic, religious, artistic, philosophical. For supporting a football team?

Would you believe me if i said, "I saw this old man with a white beard, in flowing robes and a staff in one hand, seven nights in a row, when i was eight. And he said in a very convincing but gentle and persuasive voice, "Your salvation is in supporting Fenerbahce!" ?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

OMG! Did that happen to you too OC?Good to know I'm not alone ........☺

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fenerbahce or Galatasaray

Other Chelebi and Sari...............thank you both..............I love your humour! You have brightened my evening!

Mr Openwide is very surprised to see me laughing, particularly as Match of the Day is on television at the moment, and my English team is no longer in the Premier league.