We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Topic
you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

I checked before coming to Turkey from the US - do I need a Visa? The answer was no, you do not need a Visa.

But! When you get to the airport Before getting in the Passport Control line (can you see I made a mistake here?)...Before Passport Control check the window for Visa and see if your country is on the list (I had to walk right up to to see). If it is, you have to pay for a sticker. It's more like a fee than a Visa since they check nothing just collect, in my case, $20usd.

If you make a mistake like I did you'll have go buy that Visa and then stand in the Passport Control line a.g.a.i.n. I'm sure this was mentioned before but as for me I didn't even think to ask.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

Ooops yes you did make a mistake.We have said clearly many,many times here on the forum that you must go and buy your visa sticker BEFORE you go to passport control.Otherwise,well ...you saw what happens,you have to go and queue again!

A huge number of nations citizens can obtain their visa in this manner,there are only a few who must obtain it in advance.On the main Turkey forum Top Questions box there is a complete list of every country and the visa requirements for anyone not sure.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

Hi folks,

Once again, here is the visa information for citizens of those countries that can get a visa at the Turkish border gates. If your country is not on listed here, then you will have to apply for a Turkish visa at a Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence, before the trip. "mfa.gov.tr/visa-fees-at-border-gates-for-201…".

enigma...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

,you don't need to contact a Turkish consulate BEFORE leaving the US,which used to be the norm,but yes,you do need one when you arrive in Istanbul BEFORE going to Passport control. the exceptions are the ones sarikanarya and Enigma mentioned. it takes maybe ten minutes to get the visa and ten to go through passport control. hard lesson to learn. but now you know!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

I dont mean to sound cyincal here..and that is not my intent so please dont take this the wrong way... but...if members would READ along the right hand side of the page under the "Top questions about ISTANBUL " or for that matter under the TOP QUESTİONS FOR TURKEY..or any other fourms there are useful information posted by DE's like myself.

you will see a post at the bottom clearly stating " Visa fees for Turkey 2010"

Days of closure of Istanbul sights

How to get from Sabiha Gokcen airport to Sultanahmet (old city)?

Istanbul on a budget

Visa fees for Turkey 2010

most if not all countries travelling to Turkey require a visa and can obtain on at the point of entry.

plus 90 percent of all questions here repeately asked can be found quickly by doing a search in the various forums..

Edited: 2:47 am, April 29, 2010
Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

Yes, sometimes one gets the impression that one's wasting one's time!

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

In the OPs case however she did 'check' whether she needed a visa before coming - and so I guess naturally she then put it totally out of her mind.

There seem to be many 'travel experts' giving advice on Turkey and Istanbul who haven't got the faintest idea what they are talking about - and who obviously have never been there! These are, I am sure, the same ones that tell people Istanbul is not safe, and you can't possibly either go there alone, or venture out without a tour guide. Hence why we also answer endless questions on safety!

Grrrrrr.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

Dudisimo ...so true ..so true !!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

my thought is on safety questions is that if the people living in a particular neightborhood think it is safe by the fact that they live there,and think it is safe,then I would stay there!

any place full of shops and tourists and places to eat,with the streets full of people is a good sign to me. no one would need to go to the business sections of neighborhoods after hours. common sense is the key here,avoid dark areas,dark alleys,empty streets and take a cab to your hotel if it is really late.maybe the safety question and ATM one should be part of the FAQ.but I also get the feeling not many people asking questions read them.

Edited: 12:00 pm, April 29, 2010
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

lovetravelUs ...I added 2 posts about the questions regarding the ATM this morning to the "Top questions about Istanbul"

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: you probably need to buy a Visa at the Istanbul airport

thanks! now if we could get people to read them. on the London forum,same questions are asked over and over again,even though the answers are in the FAQs as well.

same with the restaurant suggestions and what to do when they get there. I get a lot of my information from Google and turkey travel planner!