We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank You Istanbul Forum

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Thank You Istanbul Forum

We spent 8 nights in Istanbul with a side trip to Cappadocia over the holidays. I had booked our airfare back in February and lurked in this forum for guidance. We arrived in Istanbul in the middle of a rainstorm the night of December 20th but the remainder of our stay we were blessed with sunshine with the occasional overcast sky. We stayed at the Emine Sultan Hotel and its glowing reviews here are definitely deserved. I won't write a trip report because I am still in awe of the beauty of Istanbul and its people. But I will say that it's calling us back.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
1. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

Thank you for the post and sharing your feelings with all who read these threads.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

Nice to get feed back from someone who had lots of help from the forum without ever asking a single question!We have discussed on previous threads the unseen power of TA and wondered at just how many people'lurk' but never post.You are a perfect example;just by spending a little time reading past and present posts it is possible to find almost all the answers youı need but some folks ar just too lazy to look LOL

It is also a nice compliment to all the DE's and regular forumites who give of their time so selflessly.

But please try to write a few lines for us as it is always interesting to read a first timers impression of Turkey :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

hi. I am so glad to hear you had a positive experience in Turkey! you are right,it is calling you and you will be back. try to go in the spring,it is so beautiful and the weather is perfect.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
4. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

It is always nice to know that people benefit from the forum even if we do not always meet them prior to (and often even after) their adventures in Turkey. I am so pleased that you had a good experience. The weather seems to have been quite mild during December. I never even unpacked my winter coat. I am sure, however, that I would need it in January.

I know that Cappadocia was particularly magical in the winter. I am always amazed at the skills and ingenuity these early inhabitants had. Of course, I think Istanbul is enchanting in every season, but you might want to plan a visit to return in the spring when the flowers, particularly the tulips, are magnificent.

We would welcome your opinions and experiences any time you might want to share them with us.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

I too loved staying at Emine Sultan Hotel. It's reputation is well deserved. Istanbul grabs some people and doesn't let go. Like any city Istanbul has +/-, but it's something to watch the city evolve as the world and economy (and Europe) evolve around it.

It's great to hear that you had such a good trip. When you come back for a second or third visit, Istanbul will be familiar yet changing at the same time. It's an exceptional city.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
6. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

Globe2, I was not aware that you had stayed at the Emine Sultan. I am sure the hotel would appreciate your review as would those of us who have had no experience at this property.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

After my negative review of the Apricot Hotel and the outrageous comments from you (and others) after its submittal, I no longer submit hotel reviews - positive, negative, neutral. I talk about my experience in forum threads or offline as indicated.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

Globe2,it is a pity you have now chosen not to submit reviews.Genuine reviews-good,bad or neutral are the life blood of the review section.Reviews and comments from long standing forum members such as you carry extra weight due to the number of one off posts whose authenticity is in grave doubt.Everyone's opinion is valid(whether we personally agree with it or not)and when a potential guest has the opportunity to read a range of views it helps them make a balanced informed choice.I hope you will reconsider your decision next time you return to Turkey.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
42,244 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

Globe2 has definitely made the right decision!

enigma...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
93 reviews
10. Re: Thank You Istanbul Forum

Being still in awe is no excuse! Please, please write a trip report for us to enjoy; it does not have to be lengthy.