We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warm Coke

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Warm Coke

We like our Diet Coke served in a glass filled with ice and unlimited refills. When we come to Turkey we sacrifice the ice and the unlimited refills, and we are happy to do so. We even are willing to pay the extra cost of Coke in restaurants.

Yesterday we started our round of saying good-by to the shop keepers we visit. We drank many cups of tea before we reached the tiny sandwich shop where we visit daily with the owner. It was cold and raining so we went inside.

We did not want any more tea, so we ask for Coke Light. Our friend shook his head and said no. It was too cold for us to drink anything but hot tea. Further, he protested, his supply of Diet Coke was cold.

Not to worry however, he left the table and was busy in the back. Eventually he returned with two giant beer mugs. Each mug had a can of Diet Pepsi surrounded by hot water. He cleverly explained that if we were patient, the Diet Pepsi would soon become warm enough to drink.

We took the cans from the hot water and poured our room temperature Pepsi into glasses, but we were appreciative of the concerns our Turkish friend had for our health. We realized how much we are going to miss warm Coke served with a Turkish smile.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warm Coke

Still chuckling! Thanks for this snapshot.

I am fortunate that I am not all that enthusiastic about either carbonated beverages or alcohol, always preferring to eat rather than drink my calories, a real help with our travel budget.

Marmaris, Turkey
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Warm Coke

dear busy-retired

im agast at the thought of warm coke (like you im a ice cold coke lover)

but somehow reading your post it now does not seem to be such a bad idea,

you have this remarkable talent of making everything seem so normal

im visiting istanbul on january 2nd for 7 nights

i will try a warm coke

but i will stick to my ice cold "efess", and the nectar of the gods " guinness"

(i think this may account for me being rather rotund )

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warm Coke

blue peter, in this country we call it "pleasantly plumb"

Also, i have been wondering if BR has an ulterior motive when she says she likes her diet coke with ice, but did not complain much about the warm PEPSI ?LOL

Marmaris, Turkey
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Warm Coke

yes mmmmmmmmmmm "otherchelebi"

the plot thickens

from a very pleasantly plump "bluepeter" (very)lol

5. Re: Warm Coke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 11, 2010