We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

ISLAMBAD PAKISTAN
Level Contributor
420 posts
736 reviews
Save Topic
Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

Hi!

I was planning on going for hearty breakfast and then having light snack meals for lunch and then having proper dinner.My lunch preferences were fish sandwitchhes, pides, lahmacuns, gozmeles, mezez, icecreams, donors, adana wraps etc.

I got really scared when I got a few posts warning me against eating fish, because its frozen, and meats.

Please add to the list of foods and outlets we should avoid in July.

Also tell me what your experiences about turkish fastfoods and stomach upsets.

Thanks again as your feedbacks are truly appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

I don't eat meat and have never had what I would describe as food poisioning, however, every time I've visited Turkey I have become violently ill and not known which end to deal with first (without being too graphic. I havenot visited for years though. I have put it down to:

1) Forgetting to ask for 'No ice' in the drinks

2) Not eating salad then giving in towards the end of the holiday and eating it, then getting ill.

3) Street vendors selling ice cream. Sometimes I've been fine and others not.

Am due to visit soon and will avoid all the above this time and see how I get on.

By the way I don't eat meat.

UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

sorry didnt mean to repeat about not eating meat!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

Food poisoning is a non-issue in Istanbul. Over-eating is the real threat.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

Mrs. Teapot, I do not know how long it has been since you have visited Turkey. The symptoms you describe are similar to what many people around us experienced when we lived there in the 1960s. Generally those illnesses were traced to consuming local water or dairy products.

We have never been offered ice with soda-type beverages. I find it difficult to drink raki without a bit of ice, but I figure that the raki kills anything in the ice.

We eat ice cream and dairy products without any ill effects, and we love all the fresh vegetables available in the different salads. So I do not think these things are particularly dangerous in Istanbul today.

The last time I visited Mexico I had just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and my doctor was concerned about my health. He told me to take two tablespoons of Pepto Bismol and one capsule of an antibiotic every morning as a preventative measure. We had no difficulty in Mexico; although most every other person in our group did become ill.

These days I do not take Pepto Bismal or antibiotics unless I have symptoms, but I always travel with Cipro. The public health nurse in our city prescribes this for almost everyone traveling overseas. I highly recommend sticking a few of these in your travel bag.

I believe Istanbul is among the safest places in the world to eat. I also believe that some people have sensitive digestive systems and do not tolerate change well. I think food poisoning is as rare in Istanbul as any major city in the US. If you are sensitive to geographical changes, then preventative measures may be useful.

As Globe2 aptly tells us, for the majority of us, it is not the food you eat that makes you ill, but the over-consumption of the food:-))

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

For some people it is also the heat (and subsequent dehydration) that makes them ill - especially if they have been drinking alcohol.

26. Re: Ways of avoiding food poisoning in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2009