We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lokum

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
lokum

Does anyone know where to get the best value Turkish Delight in town, in terms of price and quality? Thanks.

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lokum

Hi , I buy my loukoums here:

http://www.hacibekir.com.tr/eng/asayfa.html

there is also a boutique in the fish market of galata, but I don't remember the name.

Haci bekir will do.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lokum

you can find it in the spice bazaar,in many candy shops on Istiklal caddesi,there must be two or three in every block,and arasta bazaar over behind the blue mosque. there are many flavors and all of them are good.

check this site:

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Food/Turkish…

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lokum

Sekerci Cafer-Erol has the best Turkish delights in Istanbul, IMO. They have a store at Kadikoy Carşi (shopping area close to pier) and also another nice store at Istinye Park mall at marketplace area downstairs. Click on "iletisim" : "http://www.sekercicafererol.com/".

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lokum

As Emma mentioned, Haci Bekir is the answer without doubt. Main branch is in Eminonu, not far from New mosque and another branch is available on Istiklal str. visit my blog for exact location on map.

Alper

http://locallyper.blogspot.com

Ancona, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
1,335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lokum

Hafiz Mustafa is quite expensive (I don't know how much others cost), but VERY, VERY good for quality.

Hafiz Mustafa Sekerlemeleri

84-86 Hamidiye Çaddesi

Bahçekapi

Istanbul

Tel: (0090) 212 513 3610

http://www.hafizmustafa.com/tr/index.html

about 100 yards up from the spice market, walking towards Hagia Sofia.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lokum

After the dondurma thread, here I am bumping up another foodie topic!

I agree with *enigma* about Cafe-Erol in Kadikoy being excellent, even if the delights are pricier than average. I adore their eclectic packaging. Also the shop interior itself takes you back to another era...

It's interesting to note, as with the dondurma, that one's expectations on what is a good "Turkish delight" can vary.

I've had several Greek friends wonder about my judgment when they tasted the Haci Bekir & Cafe Erol lokums I brought back home. My Lebanese friend who was with me in Istanbul advised me 'not to bother' with lokums, as they are made 'better' in Lebanon.

Of course I know otherwise, better/worse isn't quite the point, they are just different, that's all.

However, I have been able to find a couple of places in Istanbul that sell 'Greek-style' Turkish lokums - if this makes any sense!!

The 'Turkish' delights produced in Greece (especially the renowned ones from the island of Syros - where many refugees from Smyrna/Izmir resettled) are larger in size and softer in texture than the traditional lokums found in Istanbul.

It's my opinion that Greek delights are far too sweet, which is why I prefer the real deal.

One shop where 'Greek-style' Turkish lokum is sold is in the Egyptian/Spice market, near the gate leading to the tea salons outside, facing the Yeni Cami. This is the place I recommend to my Greek & Greek-American friends. I can't remember the Turkish name of the shop, in Greek it's "Yiannis". They have signs in Greek as well as English & Turkish, and the staff speak both Greek and English fluently. The lokums are large and tender. If you eat a whole lokum you may need to drink at least a full glass of water afterwards to get rid of the sweetness.

Another shop is on Cummhurriyet Caddesi, the boulevard leading from behind Taksim Park/Divan Hotel all the way to Nisantasi. Someplace near the Osmanli metro stop, but I can't remember the name of the shop right now. It sells bulk spices as well as lokums. They have a coconut-covered lokum with a creamy interior almost like a marshmallow in texture. I don't know if this style is 'traditional' but it's addictive!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lokum

correction - Osmanbey metro stop

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lokum

Hafiz mustafa is opposite to haci bekir.There was in june a young girl who spoke perfect french.their lukum are more expensive than haci bekir( I did not buy some) , their baklava is not that good, I had better somewhere else .Their kulubiye are not famous.I payed a lot of money for what it was.

9. Re: lokum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 28, 2010