We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stocking up on cheaper stuff

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Stocking up on cheaper stuff

Hi! I'm going to Istanbul from Dublin for an extended long weekend. In addition to blitzing as many important sights as possible, I was hoping to do a bit of shopping. I'm really looking for names of shops and how I can find them.

- I wanted to buy a digital camera for my friend's birthday. Can anyone recommend a large electronics store (like MediaMarkt in Europe, or Dixons in Ireland, or Future Shop in Canada)?

- Where can you buy cartons of cigarettes? I will probably buy duty free on the way home, but I wanted to buy a couple duty-paid cartons as well (because of the duty free limits).

- Are there any clothing stores for men that sell contemporary international styles at local prices? I imagine that any international chains will be charging international prices.

- Are there any big pharmacies, like Boots (in Ireland) or Shoppers (in Canada), to buy cheaper products (face wash, Advil, condoms)?

I know it sounds like I'm going to Istanbul to watch MTV, eat at McDonalds, and shop at H&M, but it's not the case! I just wanted a couple of hours of shopping to pay for the cost of the flights.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stocking up on cheaper stuff

Hi johnny,

- Mediamarkt is available in Turkey. Besides, Teknosa, Darty, Bimeks, Gold etc. are others. In every shopping mall one or two of them are available. Darty is available on Istiklal str, not far from Tunnel square.

- You can buy cigarettes from one of many markets or kiosks. Quantity doesnt matter.

- Visit a shopping mall again. You're right, prices do not change much for int. brands. Visit Turkish brands shops like Sarar, they're cheaper and good quality. www.sarar.com.tr

- IN shopping malls there're shops for beauty products but they're not cheap, mostly imports.

- You can visit Metro city and Kanyon shopping malls, they're next to each other. Take metro from Taksim square and leave at "Levent" stop, one before last and follow signs.

Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stocking up on cheaper stuff

do not consider buying any international products and especially cameras and electronics cheaper in Turkey. They are usually 20 to 50 % more expensive than I can find them on Amazon US. Try buying on-line in Dublin.

For clothing , there are good turkish brands which have become international, like Mavi Jeans for sports clothes and Sarar for suits and coats, which are priced well. I generally do not recommend Turkish shirts, (I buy on-line from Brooks brothers.)

There are no drug stores in Turkey, but the over-the counter-medicine equivalents of important brands are much less expensive in pharmacies. i.e. Tylenol extra will be Minoset Plus, Advil or Nurofen will be Brufen or Artril (you can get 400 or 600mg. as well)

Antihistaminics like claritine are also a fraction of the European price.

You can buy one or two cartons of cigarettes at the duty free shops as you enter Turkey, while waiting for your luggage.

For clothing, I recommend one of the larger malls, such as Cevahir in Sisli or Akmerkez at Etiler. They usually have pharmacies also.

Best priced condoms will be at the checkout counters of supermarkets, which are also present in the mentioned malls.

Level Contributor
268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stocking up on cheaper stuff

Hi Johnny,

Just to let you know, in case you get stopped at customs in Dublin on the way back you cannot mix duty free and duty paid. If you buy cigs outside the airport in Istanbul make sure thay have made in UK on them otherwise they are horrible cigs even if they are B & H or whatever brand we are use to. Last time I went through Istanbul airport on my way back to Dublin Ccigs were around £14 for 200. Look out for bigger packs with more than 200 for a bargain. I know in Northern Cyprus (which is Turkish)outside the airport 200 cigs is around £21. Have a look in the Duty free when you land in Istanbul as you are allowed to buy.

Cheers Hannah

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stocking up on cheaper stuff

Istikal Kadessi is a fantastic shopping street as is the Market in Sultanamet . If you are looking for suits/ formal wear go to INCI in the Market . The tailor/owner speaks good English and has relatives in Croydon. Buy your cigs at any store . The price is govt. regulated and consistent across Turkey. If memory serves they are more or less the same at the airport. Perfume is not cheap. You would be better off buying DF or at home. Jeans are cheap everywhere , even big names as many have factories there. for upmarket clothing go to Vakko in Istikal Kadessi - ask them where there outlet shop is as I cant remember but prices were considerably lower than the main store - though for classicwear it is v good. Mavi is a good turkish label. You can buy most medicines that in theUK are prescription only over the counter at any pharmacy of which there are thousands in Istanbul eg Betnovate gel but they are only a bit cheaper than prescription charges in UK (£7.10p)

5. Re: Stocking up on cheaper stuff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, November 18, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now