We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinery - 2.5 days

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Help with itinery - 2.5 days

Hi all,

I'm leaving for Istanbul this weekend and staying in the old city. Unfortunately this is a last minute trip so i haven't had time to do any research. It seems like there r heaps to do just from reading the tripadvisor forum. We roughly have 2.5 days. Any suggestions are welcomed as we wanna maximise our time there.

Also, we are landing at Sabiha Gokcen airport. I had a quick look at the website on public transport to get to and from but it was hopeless. Can anyone give me better directions?

Thanks

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinery - 2.5 days

Public transport from Sabiha Gokcen involves a few changes (bus to Kadikoy, ferry to Eminonu and then tram to Sultanahmet. You may be better booking a shuttle service that will take you door to door for around 10€ each (try www.istanbulairportshuttle.com).

In two and a half days, you can just scratch the surface - but perhaps spend a day in Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque, Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern, Hippodrome, Mosaic Museum, Arasta Bazaar.....). Then 2nd day start in the Grand Bazaar, then after you have finished there, walk down through the chaotic little winding streets that sell everything until you get to the Spice Bazaar. Explore there (and maybe have lunch at Hamdi) then walk over the bridge, either climb the hill (visiting the Galata Tower on the way) up to Tunel (or take the funicular) and then walk up the far more modern Istiklal Cad to Taksim Square. You can have dinner here too as the nightlife around the Tunel area is fantastic - or you can take the funicular from Taksim down to Kabatas and take the tram back to Sultanahmet for dinner.

For your other half day, try and get to Chora Church - it is amazing - or just try and do some of the stuff you missed!!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinery - 2.5 days

You may lose half a day at the Tokapi Palace (lots to see, long lines, etc.). It took us 5 hours and we still didn't see or do everything we wanted to do there.

How about this:

Day 1 - Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, merto to Yeni Camii (New Mosque), Spice and Grand Bazaars, walk or metro to Sultanahmet.

Day 2 - Taxi to Chora Church, bus/taxi/ferry from Balat to Eminonu, Galata Bridge, Galata Tower, Taskim/Iskital Street, metro back to Sultanahmet.

Day 2.5 - Basilica or Binbirdirek Cistern, Hippodrome, Kucuk Aya Sofia. Taxi to airport.

Good luck and enjoy!

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinery - 2.5 days

Since I don't know if you're arriving in Istanbul on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, keep in mind that:

The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sundays.

Haghia Sophia and several other museums are closed on Mondays.

Topkap is closed on Tuesdays.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinery - 2.5 days

You will definitely 'lose' half a day in Topkapi - but it is (in my opinion) the very top of the must-see sights of Istanbul!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinery - 2.5 days

Hi CC81,

Public bus (#E-3) is available between SAW airport and 4.Levent (last metro stop). Than you can take metro to Taksim, with funicular connection to Kabatas and light tram to Sultanahmet. istanbul-ulasim.com.tr/harita/RayliSistemler…

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

6. Re: Help with itinery - 2.5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 29, 2009