We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

We have already left Istanbul, but not back in the US yet. I simply just can't rest till I find out about the location of the Military Museum. We were trying to find it to see the Mehter band. All the guide books mentioned it and it was on the map, but we walked around for a good 45 min and couldn't find it. We asked and asked and nothing. All we saw was an old fort like building but it had a photography exhbit inside. Here is a description of where we were- we walked down from Taksim square and the Modern Museum was across the street kind of diagnol. There was also a mosque on the corner (probably doesn't help that much!). Any thoughts would be appreciated. My family was not happy with the situation but a shortened (and cheap) Bosphorus tour made up for it. Trip report will follow in a few days. I am struggling with a German keyboard.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

Hi iowacorn,

Sorry to hear that you couldnt find it but its very easy to reach from Taksim square. Only 15 min. walk from taksim square and its on the main road. Next time ask for Istanbul Hilton hotel and walk more few meters.

It's few blocks away from Hilton, on the same side.

here's the map: http://www.tsk.mil.tr/askerimuze/ulasim.htm

Best wishes, Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

I knew we had to be close. Well, another reason to go back to Istanbul! :)

Thank you!!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

I just looked at the map and we were in the complete opposite direction. Our map had it south of Taksim and more by the Tophane area.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

Dear iowacorn,

probabily you went to see the Tophane building (the old cannon factory from Ottoman period) in Tophane, accros the Kilic Ali Pasa mosque and on the diagonal (across the street) of Istanbul Modern museum. Like you said, it has a photo exhibition at the moment.

Well, it has nothing to do with the Military museum which is located at Elmadag neighborhood just pass Hilton hotel. The Tophane (cannon factory) is now an exhibition hall of the Mimar Sinan fine arts faculty.

Don't worry, you'll see Military museum and Naval museum next time.

Burak

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

Sorry to hear that you missed this site...too bad you had not read this previous post in the Istanbul forum: '' Ottoman Military Band ''

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1473…

As the address, times, performances were listed...however the post was from 2007...I have also bumped it up for members to find easier..

it is so important for members to realize that 99% of the time their same question has been already answered previously in older posts..

the search box is a great and useful tool..

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

Buraksan, I went back and looked at my map and I realized that I looked at the wrong thing. The real museum was listed there, but I saw the other one and thought that was it and didn't even bother to look anywhere else.

Canmom,

I found out about the band through that post, but the problem was I didn't match address to map. I just assumed that it was the same thing.

Thanks to all!

7. Re: Military museum and Ottoman Mehter band

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 16, 2009