We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Arrived on Friday afternoon and were greeted by our pre-booked taxi driver (www.turkeytaxireservations.com – would use them again). We got stuck in rush hour traffic, but we didn't mind, got to take in our first impressions of the city (loved it!).

We finally made it to our hotel (Ciragan Kempinski), which was excellent, with an impeccable service. One tip however, do try and stay in one of the sea view rooms, we had booked a (less expensive ;-) ) room via my corporate account, and were facing a busy street. The noise was not an issue for us though.

Once we had freshened up we took a taxi to Istiklal Caddesi, by this time it was about 8pm and it was very busy. When we left at 3am it was as busy - seriously, this city never sleeps! We headed to Cicek Pasaj and wondered around a little before we settled in a meyhane just round the corner (lots to chose from, just pick one that appeals the most). Even though it was the middle of November, it was packed and we took seats outside to join in the atmosphere. Ate lots of extremely tasty food (they bring a tray of mezeler which you can choose from), had some raki and had a wonderful time generally.

We headed to another cafe around the corner (a tiny side street covered in coloured lanterns, beautiful), for some desserts. It was busy, with people singing happily and having a lovely time. (no horrendously drunk people like we'd see in London)

General note: it was not difficult at all to get a taxi back to the hotel, the streets are bustling and the majority of people up and about seem to be 'normal' - it certainly didn't feel deserted or particularly dangerous, even at 3am. Although normal safety measures apply, as always, anywhere in the world.

The next day, we headed to the House Cafe (not far from Cicek Pasaj), for breakfast, choices were international and Turkish, we went for toasted sandwiches with cheese and Turkish bacon (pastirma). Yum!

Wondered around Istiklal Caddesi for some shopping before hitting the major tourist destinations, Galata Tower, Suleymaniye Mosque (breathtaking, although we were very disappointed by the disrespect shown by some tourists, e.g. not covering up etc), Aya Sofya, Yerebatan Cistern and the Grand Bazaar. I noticed for the Grand Bazaar, that the shops near the entrance are much more expensive than those towards the 'middle', presumably because most tourists will go into the first few ops they see, not realizing there are many more offering the same articles further inside.

We had kofte at Sultanahmet Koftecisi (beware, there is only one real one by the mosque, there are others with the same name in other parts of the city).

We had dinner at our hotel that night, which was lovely.

The next day we went on a Bosphorus tour (we walked right from our hotel in Besiktas to Ortakoy where we got on the ferry). Breathtaking views.

In the afternoon we went to Nisantasi for some window shopping (very upmarket, Cartier, YSL, Gucci stores etc all door to door) followed by a shopping trip to Cevahir Mall, the largest mall in Europe. At Cevahir, we had lunch - Turkish fast food on the top floor (iskender kebab etc). Tastiest fast food ever.

We took a ferry to the Asian side and headed for Bagdad caddesi (shops and restaurants) before heading to 360 for dinner. We headed back to Besiktas for some desserts, there are numerous patisseries all around Istanbul, often open until very late.

On Monday, we went for a shot walk before heading to the airport...

We (couple in our early 30s) will definitely be back one day soon. We had a brilliant time.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Fantastic trip report, New2Oz. I'm so glad you were able to see the real Istanbul rather than just the small section of the city that so many tourists only see. So happy to hear you had a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Well Busyretired, I wrote my post to really show the opposite point and show the other face of women in Istanbul. Anyway I'm looking forward to many more nights out in Istanbul with my girlfriends, AKP or not.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Kozano, I hope you have many more opportunities to go where you wish. I have great difficulty believing that any political party can put women's rights back into the bottle once they have emerged, but some of my Turkish friends see all kinds of restrictions of freedoms on the horizon including a prohibition against alcohol and head scarves for all women.

I am not sufficiently familiar with domestic Turkish politics to know who is right, but my common sense tells me that most Turkish women will not go willingly into restrictions on their freedoms.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Hi guys,

I think we should refrain from those threads as religion, politics and social conventions of women (and men) in this forum, it´s not the right platform. It is a very sensitive subject and I don´t think that many of us have the profund insight to these affairs, especially because they are partly in a kind of rebuilding phase.

I don´t want to offend somebody but it is just my opinion.

istanbul
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

there is no political power strong enough to prohibit alcohol or enforce head scarves - no worries.

fear is a powerful and distractive tool - we must get rid of it to think in a healthy manner.

what is happening is basically that masses migrated to big cities bringing their traditional values, started to make money allowing them to make their way into middle classes and to discover their own democratic voices.

the fact that we see more head scarves today indicates a stronger democracy not a weaker one. if it is mature enough is another question. but it definitely is further ahead towards maturity.

world conjuncture does everything to promote conservatism and turkey has its share from it. but the effect in my opinion is only at the surface. in the depths turkish people struggle with a much bigger and more important identity problem. this identity problem questions terms like turkish nationality, ethnicity, relations to ottoman as well as anatolian cultural heritages, relations to islam as a religion and as a source of cultural influence.

granted, we are going through an identity crisis - but this land we inhabit did go through so many crisis and came up with so many great solutions, that it makes it only exciting to wait with what kind of solution we will be coming up with.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
816 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

Such a well-written and informative trip report! Thank you!!!

27. Re: Quick trip report (Friday-Monday visit in November)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:21 am, October 16, 2009