We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

If you get the chance, watch Andrew Zimmern's visit to Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Dalyan on the Travel Channel. The show features a whirling dervish performance at Sirkeci Station; a brief visit to Hagia Sophia; mineral mud bath in Dalyan; massage at Cemberlitas Hammami (ladies, the massage/bath on the men's side is 10x better than what we receive - geez); a shave and Qtip fire trim US$3.00 in Istanbul; and a visit to one of the man-made underground cities in Cappadocia. It looked like a spectacular trip!

Last year, I bumped into an American who spotted Andrew Zimmern at the Grand Bazaar and said hello to him. How anyone would recognize this guy in a crowd is baffling. When questioned, he disclosed that he wasn't in Istanbul for his standard 'unusual food' television segment, but was just passing through the city. Now we know. This was a great segment and illustrates a range of activities, scenery, and sights. Now, I want to work on improving the women's section of Istanbul's hammamis(!).

Globe

Mentioned in this post
Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

Thanks for the info, Globe. I'll look for the show on the Travel Channel.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

I finally caught this show on the Travel Channel today and I learned a bunch of stuff I didn't know: There's a town in Turkey called Kuskoy where people have an entire language consisting of whistling! If they can say it in Turkish, they can also say it in this "bird language." I also didn't know that the first belly dancers were men! Or that the most unique Turkish bath is one in which small flesh eating fish eat the dead skin from your body. There was absolutely nothing about Bizarre Foods (or any food) on this show of his. Definitely worth a watch.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

Ah yes, the whistle-people, they are awesome. I think the village is somewhere in Eastern Black Sea coast, but I don't know where it is exactly.

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

kuskoy is a village in the city of giresun, canakci district. the reason for using whistles is the river running through the village, the distance between houses and the famous black sea highland fog.

this is their website(in turkish)

http://www.kuskoyu.com/

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

In the Alpine regions of Europe yodeling, a singular form of singing, was used between mountain villages separated by a deep valley as a method of communication. This has since developed into folklore singing.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

Those flesh-eating fish are making a huge comeback in the US. They are very popular in a complete pedicure experience. I think it would tickle too much, but clients seem to like them.

My favorite part of this show was watching Zimmern try to fit his body into the leather pants they wear for oil wrestling. I would have never thought of pouring a bottle of olive oil down my levis in order to get them on. lol

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

I ran into him too! He was standing between a couple trucks in the small parking lot between the grand bazzar and the bath house with his crew. I assumed it was his food show and have been waiting to see it. I'm sad I missed this.

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

Hi,

I watched that episode once at Travel Channel, but now I cannot find it on the web. Have they taken it off air? Could someone give me a link where I can re-watch (perhaps, order the DVD) that episode?

Thanks,

9. Re: Travel Channel (US) - Andrew Zimmern visits Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:26 am, October 13, 2009