We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
3 posts
Save Topic
Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

I'm going to be in Istanbul in late November.

I was set on staying at Empress Zoe - but there are no rooms with views or outside spaces left. How are their ordinary double rooms? still worth it? My second choice, Romantic Hotel seems small and charming - with an equally beautiful terrace- and the rooms have views and balconies, that I can tell. My other considerations were Sultanhan, Piere Loti and Erguvan (pardon any misspelling). Any advice? Computer access and airport shuttle would be big bonuses, although I know its less likely with a smaller hotel. Thanks!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

I would look at the Dersaadet and the Sirkeci Konak too.

I love the Empress Zoe (we staying in the Penthouse Suite for our honeymoon) - perfect location, great breakfast and lovely terrace (but the terrace and the garden are all outdoors so no use in Nov!!). I believe the normal double rooms are pretty small however.

The Romantic is in a great location but I have heard the rooms are small there too.

Maybe also look at the Regency Suites. They have a spa which in November might be a bonus!

USA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

Will it be too cold to eat on any terraces? how sad! So maybe, for this time of year, outdoor space shouldn't be on my list of things I'm looking for...?

I'm alone so I won't mind a small room- but hope for a modern bathroom, a view and some internet access. Do you know if there are internet cafes in the area? I'd hate to lug a lap top around on vacation.

A spa sounds like a great idea - thanks very much!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak in early September and absolutely loved it. The views from the higher floor rooms are of Gulhane Park (behind Topkapi Palace), but I would not stay there for the view. It is only a year or two old, so it indeed has very good bathrooms. It also has a spa and small indoor swimming pool, and I had a lovely Turkish bath and massage there. The included breakfast buffet is excellent and varied, the hotel provides an afternoon tea gratis as well, and also will pick you up at the airport and give you an excellent free dinner if you stay at least three nights and book through their website.

However, what makes this hotel so wonderful is the fantastic, friendly, helpful staff. From the numerous emails exchanged with Pelin Nasoz, the guest relations manager, for a month before our visit regarding rooms and Istanbul restaurants, to the apple tea served to us as we sat comfortably for check-in, to the three staff members who came to stand outside the hotel as we departed to wave us goodbye and thank us again for our stay, the service was the best I ever had at any hotel.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

You can get some nice days in November - but they are often pretty cold! Not really sitting outside weather unless there are heaters - and mostly you would probably be wanting to sit out in the mornings for breakfast, or in the evening - and both times will be pretty chilly unless you are very lucky indeed.

I would look instead for a hotel with a good covered/indoor terrace that still has a great view.

new york city
Level Contributor
42 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

For a terrific view with a jacuzzi, I'd go for the jacuzzi suite (room 203 was great!) or the jacuzzi room with sea view (room 401 was ours) at the Ada Hotel in Sultanahmet. No, there isn't a terrace (except for breakfast), but the view from each of these rooms is great, breakfasts are plentiful and delicious, and location is very convenient. Also, the proprietors are sweet and caring. Whatever you do, have a great time!

6. Re: Empress Zoe or Romantic Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 pm, October 12, 2009