We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

Probably been talked about many times, however I should be in Istanbul next week for 5 days and was hoping to fit both these places, however I am now thinking it may take too much time out of touring Istanbul as this is my first visit.

I was thinking of combining Princess Island with a walk arround the Asian side the same day.

Just wondering if, at this time of the year, there is any good reason for picking one over the other, any reasons for and against would be very much appreciated, or should that read for and more for.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

Hi oscars,

Both attractions are very different and I would do them both. Both, IMO, are "must" trips.Yes you can combine a trip to the islands with a walk at Kadikoy(Asin side) . Just make sure the ferry on your return trip from Buyukada stops at Kadikoy pier where you can get off the boat and spend a couple of hours at Kadikoy. Afterwards you can always take a ferry to Karakoy or Eminonu from Kadikoy. Here are the ferry schedules:

www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm…

good luck,

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

hi oscars,

i am answering as a bosphorus freak: i would take the bosphorus cruise. but not only the cruise; i would get off the ferry at one of the piers, have a nice decent meal (probably fish or sea mezes with raki), walk along the sea for an hour and take the ferry at another pier. of course, this needs careful planning because the ferries are not running along the bosphorus too often.

whatever you decide, you will not regret because both destinations are lovely

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

I was in Istanbul last month for a seven day stay. I did a short Bosphorus cruise, the Princes'Island trip and the Bosphorus full cruise using the public ferry.

If you only have a limited available and this is your first visit to Istanbul I would recommend the short Bosphorus cruise using the Turyol boats in preference to the Princes'Island trip since you are able to see more places from the boat. Also you certainly need a nice day for the Princes' Island!

You can pay a short visit to the Asian side using the very frequent ferries from Eminonu to Kadikoy. The Bosphorus ferry runs to a very restricted timetable.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

They are both lovely trips, I do like them both a lot. If you have to choose make your decision on time and weather. If the weather is rainy do not bother to go to the Prince's islands, as it is so lovely to make a tour on a rented bike or with the Fayton, a horse pulled cart.

On a sunny day, this is a trip to feel so far away from the city noise, absolutely wonderful.

A Bosphorus tour is nice as well to admire the old Architecture and the sensation of being in between Europe and Asia.

I hope this will help you a little bit, have a wonderful time!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

I always think of the Princes Islands as being a place to go when you need a break from the city for a while. It is pretty countryside and a lovely change from the hectic-ness of the city but maybe not what you have come to Istanbul for....

If you were staying in Istanbul for two weeks, I would say go and do it if you have nice weather but in five days, there is just too much to see in the city!!

I agree with pnar - if you want to take to the water, take the full Bosphorus tour but get off and walk a bit too (and/or take the bus) - you can't see that much from the boat - just some of the nicer waterfront buildings - but the Bosphorus villages are lovely and worth exploring.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

I agree - both lovely trips - difficult to choose - but if I was wanting to get the 'Istanbul experience' I think I would choose the Bosphorus cruise as the places that you pass up the bosphorus are simply stunning - the summer palaces and all the other buildings that you can see will give you a real feel for the Istanbul of the past - passing things like the Rumeli Fortress - trying the yummy yoghurts - walking up to the Anadolu Rumegi (sp??) and admiring the entrance to the Black Sea and then lunch in a fish restaurant - are simply the best!

Gives you an excuse to come back and do another trip!!

Cheers!

cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

My sincere thanks to all of you for your taking the time to offer your suggestions, I feel you all have more or less confirmed what I was thinking and this is a great comfort, I will def do the Bosphorous and decide on Princess Island while in Istanbul and pending the weather.

Truly looking forward to Istanbul and all the info that has been provided by TA patrons has surely helped to plan a hope fully memorable trip.

Regards Oscars

8. Re: Bosphorous Cruise or Princess Island next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, October 12, 2009