We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when and who do i tip?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
when and who do i tip?

eg do taxi drivers need tipping? and how much to tip porter at hotel for carrying bags?

and what about restaurants?

thanks for advise

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when and who do i tip?

No one expects tips in Turkey, If you give one they will look after you the next time you use their services, Most workers in Bar/Restauraunts make more money from tips than they get in wages, No matter how small a tip they get from a person it's very much appreciated, Tip when you feel it's appropriate.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,978 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when and who do i tip?

You don´t need to tip taxi drivers but you can round up the bill.

In restaurants it is common to tip with 10 %.

It might depend on your luggage (how many bags and suit cases) how much you will give the porter, perhaps 3- 5 YTL (or more).

And I don´t think that no one expects a tip, in hotels and restaurants the tips are a second wage for the people who earn not much money.

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when and who do i tip?

In some restaurants, service is not included in the final price. It's written on the bill. Tou can give something between 5 and 10 % of the price. With the taxi, I always give 2 or 3 YTL. If it's 28 ytl, I tell him to take 30.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when and who do i tip?

Tipping practices are changing a bit in Turkey. Some taxi drivers will try to return a small tip to you and others will accept a 50 lira bill for a 40 lira expense and drive off into the sunset with it.

If a taxi driver is fair with me and doesn't run up the fare by driving all around before delivering me to my destination I usually tip as much as 5 lira. If he is obnoxious and obtuse and drives around to let the meter run up I do not tip him at all. I do not worry about further service because there is virtually no chance you will get the same driver twice.

Watch your restaurant bill. A couple of places we have eaten have already added a tip to the bill when it is presented. Hamdi added a 15% service charge to our bill, and a couple of other places (popular restaurants) have done the same thing.

Also, tips have to be left in cash on the table. There is no way to add a tip to your bill if you pay with a credit card.

When I make my own decision about a restaurant tip, I usually tip 10% unless the service has been exceptionally extra-ordinary. We find that it is not unusual for a restaurant to give us something "on the house" at the end of a meal. We usually always receive tea, and sometimes a fruit plate. I sometimes tip 15% if these extra amenties are offered.

Lots of hotels have tip boxes and I usually put in 10 lira per day for the number of days we have been staying at the hotel. This money is divided among the staff. If there is only one maid, I may leave her tip in the room.

The hotel person who manages our luggage gets a big tip because we travel with lots of luggage and taking it up two flights of stairs is really difficult. In our hotel there is only one person who does this, as well as man the reception desk, provide us with water, extra towels etc. We give him 100 lira for every two weeks we are in the hotel, and he seems to appreciate it; although his high level of service would be the same with or without a tip.

If you have a separate bellboy I would tip 1 lira per suitcase, just as I do at the airport for the person who assists with our luggage.

As has been said, many Turkish people depend on tips to survive in their jobs. In most cases the service we receive is much better than what we receive in the US, and I am happy to reward them for their attention.

5. Re: when and who do i tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, October 12, 2009