We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two questions on Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
562 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Two questions on Istanbul

(1) I have trawled through 20 pages of this forum to find how you can get from the cruise ship dock to the sights.

I found that you can get a tram to Sultanahmet Square.

Does anyone know what number tram to take & what is the destination on the front of the tram??

(2). I would like to take a ferry to the Asian side,this would have to be a short trip (about 1hour).

Where would I catch this ferry & where to?

Thankyou

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two questions on Istanbul

When you leave the cruise ship, head towards the Galata Bridge you see very close by. There you will see the tram and as long as you catch one going over that bridge you will be fine. There are a few stops after you cross the bridge which are announced over a loudspeaker - Sirkeci, Gulhane, etc - just listen out for Sultanahmet stop. You will know because you will not fail to notice you have just passed The Aya Sofya and Blue Mosques.

Don't worry it's really very easy. If you are not sure, ask anybody and they will help you, and if all else fails and you don't want to waste your precious time, grab a cab, it wouldn't be very expensive as it's quite a short journey.

Are you only in Istanbul for a day or so? If that's the case then you don't really have time to visit Asian side. I think ferry must take nearly half an hour each way. I'd spend my time in Sultanahmet.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two questions on Istanbul

Hi neston,

As Heido said, it's very easy. It's not like there are twenty trams heading off in different directions. There is only one "set" of trams: one going over the bridge toward Sultanahmet and one going away from it. Your tram should say "Zeytinburnu" on the front of it. (Do NOT take the tram that says "Kabatas.") The trams are not numbered.

You can catch a ferry at Karakoy (near the cruise ship dock), but if you only have an hour all you'll be able to do is ride over and then ride right back.

Hope you have an enjoyable visit in Istanbul.

Jo

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two questions on Istanbul

I also agree that if you only have a day to spend in Istanbul, you should spend it in Sultanahmet where all the must see sights are (and to see them properly would take far longer than a day!).

The Asian side is mainly residential - and while it is really interesting to spend a day (or much more) wandering round some of the areas there, exploring the shops, visiting the markets etc there aren't 'sights to see' in the same way as in Sultanahmet. Also the crossing isn't that interesting - although you do get a fantastic view back at Sultanahmet if it is a clear day.

The trams are very easy as everyone else has said. There is only one tram line - just make sure you are going the right way on it!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two questions on Istanbul

Hi neston,

I would take the one hour ferry trip to Asian side. I find that trip of twenty minutes wonderful and very interesting. You get to see St.Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Blue Mosque from the sea, get close to Uskudar and Harem districts, get to see the historic Haydarpasha station (Asian Terminus for trains) and the wonderful Kadikoy Pier. Even if you spend only ten minutes at the Kadikoy Pier, buy Simit at the Pier(Turkish sesame donut) and share it with the seagulls on your way back to the city with the same boat you came, it is a very refreshing and wonderful ferry trip with magnificent photo opportunities. Just to take some marvellous photos, I would make this trip. By the way Kadikoy(Asian Side) boats either leave from Karakoy or Eminonu at each end of the Galata Bridge. Here are the map and the schedules:

www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm…

cheers,

neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
562 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two questions on Istanbul

Thank you all for your replies, they have been very helpful.

I will be in Istanbul for 8/9 hours so I think I may pop over to Asian side just to say I've done it.

Cheers to all.

6. Re: Two questions on Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 10, 2009