We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

Hi I am travelling to Istanbul for Christmas on my own. Just wondering what the typical temperature is at this time of year so I can pack properly.

Any suggestions for a central hotel which accomodates/welcomes a single woman, not too expensive? I have a slight disability which makes walking up hills difficult, so a hotel at the top of a hill would suit me better.

Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

My recommendation is Blue House Hotel which has a great location next to Blue Mosque on top of the hill.

The staff is very helpful and it has a honest, clean management overall.

www.bluehoushotel.com

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

http://www.bluehousehotel.net/index.htm

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

One of the joys of the majority of the boutique hotels in Sultanahmet is that they are friendly and welcoming - and everyone on the forum has their favourite!

There are some excellent reviews in the hotels section which can help you make your decision - but from my experience, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Apricot Hotel, the Empress Zoe hotel but there are many others. THe Apricot is very friendly but is at the bottom of a short hill up to the sights of Sutanahmet (not too bad though - my mother has quite restricted mobility and she managed OK). The Empress Zoe is higher up so less hill problem (but it has a rather steep spiral staircase inside).

Also perhaps look at the Nena Hotel which gets great reviews and is on the top of the hill - and also the Kybele (which is very quirky and when we popped in to have a look last time, was very friendly indeed).

Also there is the Regency Suites (which is on the main restaurant street) - which would be a bit more expensive but it has a spa as well which you may enjoy.

I am sure other people will have their own recommendations as well.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

Another vote for the Nena. It's a half block off the main drag (Divan Yolu) & just up the street from the Sultanahmet tram stop. Hotel has an elevator; & we (2 female friends traveling together) were treated respectfully & were given whatever help/advice we needed. Quite a few "local" restaurants on the main street; & the hotel's restaurant served a fabulous meal.

5. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:01 am, October 02, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,143 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

I'd agree with Liv4cruisin, Hotel Nena is very central, ideal location, just one minute walk from main street, tram, five minute walk from Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Cistern and Grand Bazaar.

No hills to climb at all and lift is invaluable when you are tired after sightseeeing.

Again we were female party and no problems here.

7. Re: Single Woman in Istanbul for Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 10, 2009