We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traditional textiles

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
traditional textiles

Hello,

I am going to Istanbul for a few days and would like to buy some traditional turkish textiles, e.g. bed spread, tablecloth etc at reasonable prices. Does anybody know where best to go apart from the Grand Bazar. I will be staying in Sultanahamet. Thank you for your help.

Angelika

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from $100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from $72.25*
$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from $250.75*
$295.00
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traditional textiles

You could take the ferry over to Kadikoy for the Friday market.İt is absolutely huge and very cheap and you can buy just about everything there.İn the Grand Bazaar you will pay 'tourist prices'.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traditional textiles

Thank you Sarikanarya,

I understand Kadikoy is in the Eastern part of the city)? Do I need the name of the street to find the market?

thank you

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traditional textiles

I have bumped up the thread called "Hidden Treasures and Favorite Places". There are some very specific directions within this thread to locate the market.

Good Luck!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traditional textiles

Thank you Busy-Retired,

Angelika

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traditional textiles

Basically from the pier where the ferry comes in, cross the main road (good luck!) and follow the main road with the tram tracks on it up the hill (it is sort of straight in front of you).

At the top of the hill you come to a roundabout with a bronze statue of a bull in the middle.

Cross over the road heading towards the road that is more or less straight ahead but slightly to the left. You should start to see people heading down that way. Walk down this road and at the end you will see the market. It will take about 15 mins to walk.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traditional textiles

Also try exploring the maze of streets between the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market. This is where the locals shop and you can get some amazing bargains here (you can also get spectacularly lost - if in doubt keep going downhill and you will end up at the water's edge eventually!).

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traditional textiles

Thank you very much,

I have been to the Grand Bazaar before but did not have time to explore the back streets. I will definitly visit both suggested areas.

Many thanks to all of you

8. Re: traditional textiles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:29 am, October 09, 2009