We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angels Home Hotel----

richmond virginia...
6 posts
Save Topic
Angels Home Hotel----

I was wondering what the feedback was from a message from Kb61263 from a post on 2-9-07 7:51Am re-Angel Home Hotel-suspicious. The replies didn't seem that negative but I am getting ready to book the same way thru Expedia and wondering what other's opinions are of this hotel. Would love to hear what happened when she went and if she was satisfied?

Also- anywhere on line I can find phonetic translation of Turkish words? thank you everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Home Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel
841 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
171 Reviews
from $100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from $72.25*
$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from $250.75*
$295.00
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

Dear Patara, I have read all of these messages between you and Angel's Home. I have also been to their web site. As nearly as I can understand, Angel's is announcing that they will not respond to email inquiries for rate information. I find this exceptionally strange. I have never booked directly on the internet without communicating with the hotel first. Even here in the US I call or email the hotel directly before making a reservation. I do not even use the 800 numbers for chain hotels here in the US.

I am sorry that Angel's has decided to ignore individual inquiries about rates, but that will mean that I willl certainly not consider staying there nor will I continue to recommend this hotel. This practice is just too unusual for me to feel comfortable with it.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Home Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel
841 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

Angel's Home is not refusing to give out their rates. Their rates are listed on their website (i.e., a standard room from March to May is 79 Euros). If you send them an email, they will also send you an reply with an attachment listing their rates. What they're saying is that the discounted rates you see on other travel sites, such as Expedia, Venere, etc., are only for certain rooms (and probably not the best rooms in any category) and do not include free airport transfers or any of the other stuff you get when booking directly. Seems pretty normal to me.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Home Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel
841 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
May Hotel Istanbul
May Hotel Istanbul
236 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

I understand exactly what Angel's Home is doing, and I do not engage in business with hotels that do business in that manner. I expect a specific quote for a specific room and a specific date meeting my specific needs. I never accept a general quote either from a third party booking agent or a hotel web site.

Speaking in general terms about all of my interactions with hotels, I have perhaps paid the quoted rate no more than ten times in the more than 1000 hotel visits I have had in my adult lifetime, and those events usually happened when someone else made the reservations and paid the bill.

I never pay rack rate. I always negotiate for a better rate, and with very rare exception, I receive a better rate. If Angel's sent me a personal quote that was just marginally better than the rate quoted on the web site I would consider that to be successful and would probably be willing to book with them.

The greatest commodity still available in the US for bargaining is lodging in hotels. Since we almost never travel during peak seasons, and are often willing to stay in a hotel during the least busy portion of their week, hotels are always willing to rent a room to us rather than have the room remain empty.

When seeking hotels in Istanbul a potential guest has many bargaining tools. You can prepay for your entire stay in exchange for a reduction in your room rate. You can provide your own airport transportation. You can stay for longer than 3 days. You can pay cash rather than use a credit card. You can pay in dollars or euros rather than YTL.

My approach would be to ask for a rate based on two rooms, for thirty days, paid in full before arrival. I give the hotel a sure thing for 30 days and the use of my money before I even arrive in Turkey. In return they give something to me. If Angel's does not want to participate in this type of negotiation I will not consider them for future trips.

Actually I have more negotiation tools in Turkey than I do in the US. Here I ask for Senior Citizen discounts, AAA discounts, promotional specials, offer to prepay the room and I always request a rate reduction if I book more than one room and stay longer than three days. This just never fails for me.

Three weeks ago I booked two rooms at a well-known, four-star chain hotel in Orlando. The internet "special" was $169/night. The first quote I got directly from the hotel property was $149/night. I ended up paying $109/night and we received upgrades in both rooms!

Last week I booked a week at a hotel in Myrtle Beach. The internet special was $495/week. It took me two days, but I ultimately obtained the reservation for $249.

I assume that many people function as I do when securing reservations at hotels. Obviously if this is part of my routine when obtaining rate quotes I will not be impressed with Angel's policy of one rate for everyone regardless of any considerations I am willing to make.

It is not a problem for me, and should not be a problem for anyone who negotiates hotel rates as there are many, many hotels in Sultanahmet that not only negotiate, but even advertise different rates for those who pay cash, prepay, pay in euros etc.

I guess it is just a point of personal preference for me, but I never pay rack rate.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Angel's Home Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel
841 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

Hi Peggy,

I guess we all just do things differently, which is what keeps the world interesting. Actually, the rates on the Angel's Home website are not the rack rates...they're the special internet rates available only for internet booking directly with the hotel. Rack rates are what you get if you just walk in off the street, and they're usually higher than internet rates at most places I've stayed at. Some hotel websites will actually list their rack rates versus their internet rates, which is very helpful. Also, more and more hotels are charging more for booking via the telephone rather than the internet these days, just like the airlines are now doing. And with Angel's Home, by booking directly with the hotel via internet, you also get a free transfer from Ataturk Airport and a free dinner, which you wouldn't get from a third party booking agency (and which is why third party bookings are often cheaper.) Angel's Home website lists the rates for each type of room for each season of the year, and if you call them or contact them via email they send you their rate information, so I guess I just don't see that they're doing anything wrong. Maybe I'm just being dense.

I also rarely call a hotel when booking...I just initially book via their website and then correspond via email if I feel it's necessary, and I've never had a problem doing that. Maybe I've just been lucky, but as I said previously, we all do things differently.

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Home Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel
841 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

Jo, perhaps I have been unlucky, but I have always had problems when working with Expedia or booking directly online. Of course, if there were a price advantage I would certainly use the internet, but thus far I have always received a better rate directly from the hotel.

My children are fond of Expedia, and every time they make reservations for all of us we end up in some terrible situation. Last year it was South Beach at 10:00 pm. We had prepaid for rooms at the Delano and ended up in a scary place. It was dirty and the linen was stamped with the name of a nursing home. Of course, Expedia refunded our money but it took two weeks and was of little comfort when we were trying to decide if we should risk bed bugs by lying on the beds. We certainly did not lie on the sheets!

I have also had some miserable experiences using the central booking line for a hotel. Three times we have done that only to arrive at the hotel and discover that either they have moved us off property or we do not get the type of room we requested. Worst experience of this nature happened when I requested a handicapped room for my father, who was completely limited to a wheelchair, and they put him on the third floor of a building with no elevator.

We generally stay at either Hilton or Marriott properties, and there has never been a time when either the online rate or the 1-800 rate was less expensive than what I got directly from the hotel.

I do know what "rack rate" is, but I actually do not think hotels ever charge that rate except during holidays or special events when they are guaranteed to have no vacancies. I did pay $200 for a single star hotel at the town located closest to the shuttle launch two years ago, and there were people lined up behind me to pay the same amount. So what I really should have said is that I try to beat the first quote I get. Just like you can sit next to someone on a plane that paid four times as much for his seat as you did for yours, the same thing is true for the person in the hotel room across the hall.

It is probably good that we all use different methods for obtaining reservations. I can certainly see that it is more economical for a hotel to require all rooms be reserved online. If everyone demanded the type of personal attention I do I suppose hotels would have to hire more reservation staff and rates would go up for everyone.

My loyalty to the Apricot is based greatly on their willingness to communicate with me before we arrived. I think I sent them 47 emails. (They did assure me that it was a record) Each email was answered promptly and with great knowledge. When we finally arrived it was as if we were meeting old friends, and we were quickly introduced to the neighborhood as the people who sent 47 emails!

Obviously if hotels start to charge for this service I will not be able to do it anymore, but as long as I can get this type of service I will continue to seek it. I am just always more comfortable with personal contact. Come to think of it.....if the airlines would let me talk to my pilot before booking a reservation I would probably like that better (lol)

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

Peggy,

You'll have to teach me your bargaining tricks for hotels....they would probably come in handy, but I guess I'm usually in too much of a rush to do it. You know how worried I was about my recent trip because I booked it as a multi-city package deal with both flights and hotels through Expedia. I had never done that before, as I usually book hotels directly via a hotel website. I was very happy that everything turned out as well as it did. I think Hakkan and Mehmet have spoiled you for every other hotel that exists! (LOL) Nobody else will ever measure up to them in your eyes, and I can understand why. Hope you're enjoying your travels. I saw on the news they had snow flurries in southern Florida today....see what you're missing?

Jo

istanbul
6 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

dear all.

please keep seperate angel's home from other hotels. we try to be honest to all who think to book through to us or book by expedia- venere or many other travel web sites.we have agreement with travel web sites that we will never sell the rooms more expensive then the rates we have advertised at our own web site. otherwise it is very easy for us to give high rates to travel web sites and let the people find us to get less price.it is a way to get bookings but we do not do that. just we add some promotions like free dinner or free transportation.sure we keep some other type of rooms only for the bookings through to the hotel to keep other guests' right.othervise people who pay less or more may share the same service.and yes in turkey many hotels bargain but not angels home.

regards to all.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

Dear Angels Home, I beg to disagree. You do bargain. You just call your bargaining chips "promotions". As you clarify in your previous post there are different rates for people who book directly with you vs a booking agent, and there are different rooms and different services available as well. The only difference is that you appear to grant your "bargains" only to third party booking agents rather than directly to potential guests. I am sure it simplifies your reservation process, but does not meet my requirements for making hotel reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Home Hotel
Angel's Home Hotel
841 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
29. Re: Angels Home Hotel----

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 16, 2009