We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Political Situation in Turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
amarcela
4 posts
Save Topic
Political Situation in Turkey

I will be traveling to Istanbul in December, and I am concerned with the current situation that has been showing up in the news such as the Turkey bombings in Iraq. Can somebody living in Istanbul give me some insight on this? Will Istanbul become dangerous during this time? I am not sure if I should reschedule my trip

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

hi u dont have to worry about that

because already know irag goverment and united states

and bombings not true

its point operation against to pkk

and istanbul as far from irag

more then 1.200 km

still u r safe in turkey wherever u go any place for visit

amarcela
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

so you do not believe that Istanbul will become a target for any attacks by iraq? I am reaalllyy looking forward to my trip and would hate to cancel it...thanks for your information

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

Please do not worry. Yes in this current climate you can be a target anywhere - London, Madrid, New York.... anywhere. No one can ever have a 100% guarantee of safety whenever they step out their front door anymore.

To put it into persepctive however, Istanbul is very far from the Iraq border where the troubles are happening, and Turkey is a huge country. It would be like you cancelling a trip to Los Angeles because of a bomb in New York.

Go and enjoy youself - Istanbul is a fabulous city.

Caro

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

exacly and this is not war

but its up to u

im living in marmaris

nothing stop me go to see

london,new york or madrid

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

Hi amarcela,

If you're looking for a 100% guarantee that there won't be a terrorist bombing in Istanbul while you're there, you won't get it. There is no such thing as a 100% guarantee in this day and age no matter what country you may be thinking of visiting. As I'm sure you know, bombings have occurred in the U.K, the U.S., Spain and most other countries in the world. Therefore, the chances of you being involved in a bombing in Istanbul are the same as they would be if you were any place else. Even if such a bombing were to occur, statistically the chances of you being in the exact same place at the exact same time are extremely low.

The situation occuring in Turkey with the PKK is so far removed from Istanbul distance wise...it's like if you were visiting New York and worrying about what was happening in Florida.

I wouldn't cancel my trip, but that's just me. You must do what you think is best for you.

Jo

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

Hi amarcels - i presume you are in the US..?? Would you not travel to NY for fear of terrorist bombs and threats...?? If you would not travel to NY - then don't travel to Istanbul... However if you would consider visiting NY, London, Madrid, Paris - all of which have been subject to much more in the way of terrorist threats than Istanbul then GO and enjoy it!!

You will have a lovely time and will not fear for your security - (also Iraq is thousands of miles away..!!)

Cheers and enjoy!

ankara
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

you visit not only İstanbul but all regions of Turkey safely. it is winter season but tourists are in all of Turkey (including nearby cities to Iraqı border) and they are very happy and feel safe without any fear.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

The way tou phrased your question in your second post is rather strange. Iraq?

1- There is no hostility between Turkey and Iraq at the state level, so Iraq has no reason to take any hostile action against Turkey. Being puppet governmnts of US, both central and regional governments of Iraq have to keep up the appearance of agreeing with Turkish military action.

2- Iraq has no military force capable of entering more than 10km into Turkey.

3- Istanbul is more than 1200km (750miles) from Iraq.

If you meant the PKK terrorists when you said Iraq, then by definition they can strike anywhere, just as terrorists could and did strike NY, London, Madrid etc.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

I can only back up what everyone else says, statistically I'll be a lot safer in Turkey for New Year than I am whilst currently working in Madrid or in London where I'll be for Christmas.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Political Situation in Turkey

I am often in Istanbul. I returned 2 weeks ago after some days in Istanbul.including numerous places in both the Asia and Europe sides

I felt safe at al times The city seems unchanged from before and I witnessed no signs of any troubles.

I do not believe my experience is different from others.

Go and enjoy this interesting city.