We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit?

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Best time to visit?

I want to surprise my husband with a romantic trip to Istanbul, can anyone advise me on the best time to visit ( weather wise etc) I would have liked to come end March/ April or September??

Also would appreciate any suggestions for romantic hotels in a good location

THANK YOU!!

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Best time to visit?

If you want the good weather it is more likely to be pretty warm in September - but if you visit early April, you will see all the poppies (it can still be chilly though).

There are loads of fabulous hotels - have a look at the hotel picks thread (which I think is still on the first page) - that gives details of hotels that forum users really like.

Then if you have any questions just ask - there are loads of people on here only too happy to help.

Caro

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Best time to visit?

Forgot to say - there are also some threads on here (on the first page or two) on romantic things to do in Istanbul - will try and find them and bump them up.

Caro

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
3. Re: Best time to visit?

Hi picko135, What a lovely surprise for your husband. I do not think there is a more romantic city than Istanbul. You will enjoy this mystical and magic place.

I believe that September will be less cool than March/April. We spent the month of March in Istanbul this year. It was exceptionally cool, and we only had about 2-3 days of sunshine. We had several days of rain.

However, I would try to go in April over September because not only will the poppies be in bloom, but so will the tulips. Tulips originated in Turkey and were then exported to Holland. The gardens all over the city are beautiful. I especially enjoy walking the ground of Dolmabahce during tulip season as well as the park between the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.

Sultanahmet is filled with quaint, little boutique hotels. Read the Hotel Pick thread. If you want more specific information on certain hotels do not hesitate to return to the forum. You are going to have an amazing experience in Istanbul!

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Best time to visit?

Whoops - I meant "tulips" and not "poppies" - moment of insanity!!

I seem to be having more and more of those!!!

Caro

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best time to visit?

My last visit to IST was in late April; & I felt it the perfect time to be there. All the flowers in bloom, gorgeous. Yes, the mornings were quite chilly. But that gave way to cloudless, deep blue skies & temps in the low 70's. Perfect for the long days walking the city.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
6. Re: Best time to visit?

I think we are going to try for April in 2008. I am hoping to find warmer weather than March, but hopefully not too much above the mid-70s, and I really love to be there during the tulip season. What were the crowds like in late April?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
7. Re: Best time to visit?

Dear Picko135;

What about the February?

The Valentine's Day might be good choose.

Istanbul is beatifull four seasons.

I like the Istanbul in Winter as well. This will be less crowd. April and September is the most busy periods so that you have to make your program in advance.

Have a nice holiday

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Best time to visit?

My experience was that it was not nearly as crowded in April as it was in July.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
242 reviews
9. Re: Best time to visit?

I say this all of the time. Istanbul is beautiful regardless of the season. I really had no complaints about March, but the rest of my family all were miserable much of the time because they were cold. I would return again in March if it were necessary, but I would absolutely pack warmer clothing!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Best time to visit?

My mom and i went in may and it was great beautiful sunny days. Have Fun

Madi