We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apricot Hotel booking issue....

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Apricot Hotel booking issue....

I send last night the reservation form to the apricot hotel but havent received any reply yet. I called the hotel, but Hakan was not there and another employee tried to help me but he doesnt speak english nor spanish. The issue is that from tomorrow on, my bank account changes to another bank (Citibank in Puerto Rico will become Banco Popular). So I won't have my mastercard until almost 2 weeks from now. And the one that I gave him in the reservation form will become inactive after midnight.

If they dont charge my card before midnight I think I will have until I receive my new card and I dont want to take that chance, because I dont know if someone else want to book in the hotel.

after sending emails and no replys, and calling directly to the hotel and speaking with someone who doesnt speak english, what step should I take to confirm my reservation today. They say Hakan will come back on tomorrow morning.... :-S

any advice..... well, thanks

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

If you look at the Apricot website, there is a mobile number for Hakan on there - perhaps try that if you have had no reply. I am sure something can be sorted out when you talk to him.

Caro

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

thank you for the idea... but it is almost 9pm here, so in istanbul is around 3am... I dont wanna bother or wake him up =( .. or he's always awake.

lol, I talked if you would know him.... :-S

thanks

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

Hopefully you can get all sorted this morning.

Caro

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

When we stayed at the Apricot they did not accept credit cards for anything other than to hold your reservation. They were discussing taking credit cards on a pre-paid basis. Looking at their web site, it appears they are now accepting credit cards to prepay rooms. You do get a 5% discount if you pay with cash.

If you are planning on paying with cash it is likely that they will not charge your card at all unless you do not show up for your reservation. If you are prepaying your room with your credit card I would try to reach Hakan and explain your problem.

I understand that emailing has not been effective for you, but I would try to send one more email explaining your situation.

I would try to call the Apricot Saturday sometime between 10:00 and noon. I have Hakan's home phone number. I will not put it on the forum, but if you have not been able to reach him by Sunday I can send you a PM with it.

How soon do you plan to travel?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

i will be in istanbul from january 10-16.

but the thing is that since Citibank in Puerto Rico joined Banco Popular, my Citi Mastercard will no longer be available to use. Instead I will have a temporary Banco Popular debit card (with pin number and no M/C logo) until I receive my new M/C of Banco Popular in a week or two. If the hotel tries to charge my card, it will be declined,since it won't be in use anymore.

The thing is that I dont want to take the chance to wait a week or two because I dont know if there's someone out there (in the whole world) that might have the same trip planned and wanted to book the same room... :-S

I called him this morning 9am here in PR (3pm Istanbul) and talked to him. I dont know if he understood, but he will send me an email this evening...

look it at this way: you change of bank, you wont have your new card for a few days, so you wont be able to buy online or by phone. Someone goes and book the room you was trying to book, and then you have to start again a new research to find a nice hotel with affordable fares (due to the great exchange rate) =)

thank you all for the help!!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

Once again, I am asking if you are using your credit card to pre-pay your room or are you taking advantage of the 5% discount and paying cash when you register? If you plan to pay with cash I do not think Hakan will run your card. He takes the card to guarantee you will actually show up and occupy the room you have reserved. Most hotels do not run the credit card until a guest with a reservation does not show up.

If you are planning to charge your room to your M/C, can Hakan charge it immediately on your current card? Presumably your existing credit card will work until the sale is complete and you have received your temporary debit card. In most cases when you pre-pay for a room on your credit card the card is run when you make the reservation, so that would have already happened.

Have you discussed this situtation with your bank? Do you know the dates when all these changes are supposed to happen? I would be extremely unhappy if my bank did something like this to me in the middle of planning a major vacation.

I hope Hakan understands what is happening to you. If so, he may have a solution that will work for him.

If you are planning to use your credit card to pay for expenses while you are in Turkey I think you will have difficulty if you only have your temporary card without a major logo.

I think the best approach is to either have Hakan make the charge against your current card, or, if paying cash, ask Hakan to hold your room under your current card until you get your new card and then you can fax your new number to him.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

I emailed him again today.. No answer.

what I'm going to do is just wait. If he can't hold the room with the current card, I'll call him and tell him to hold the room for my dates. When I receive my new card, I'll call him to give him the number. the other option is paying in cash.

I'll just wait. gonna let the stress go, lol, and reorganize everything... thank you

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

I really would be surprised if he doesn't want to work with you. Tell him that you were referred by Peggy, and that might help. You are going during the slow season, so there should not be a problem, but the little hotel only has six rooms so I imagine it stays booked most of the time.

I think it wise just not to worry about it. I am sure it will be fine.

Given the sorry state of the dollar, I am thinking about pre-paying our hotel bill for April. The exchange rate just gets worse every week.

You will absolutely love the Apricot, and it is like having the city's best concierge and your own person travel agent right in the lobby. Hakan can answer any question, procure any reservation, and generally anticipate what you need before you know you need it.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

thank you very much peggy!

I would like to stay in room#5, so, since it will be low season, it would be wiser not to worry as you said.

thank you for all your help,

I really do appreciate it!

-Julian =)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apricot Hotel booking issue....

No problem. When you get back check in on the forum and give us a trip report. Tell us where you went, what you saw, what you ate, and what you bought!

Happy Travels! - Peggy