We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albanians in Istanbul

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Albanians in Istanbul

Hello

I'll be going to Istanbul for 3 nights. I'll be going with my hubby who is Albanian. I know there are many Albanians living in Istanbul, just wondering where about in Istanbul do they mostly live? It would be interesting to see where they reside and check out their cafes and restaurants etc

Thanks

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

That's a tough one. As far as I know Istanbul does not have ethnic districts of minorities, so everyone is everywhere. But maybe one of the Istanbul experts know a bar where they gather or something like that.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

Just looked it up. There aren't many of them to begin with. Only about 0.1 %.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

Thanks Nkt

Mmm I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that there were about 1 million Albanians in Istanbul (or maybe in the whole of Turkey, not sure). Oh pity it would have been interesting to see where they live. Usually ethnic minorities tend to live in one area, maybe not in this case!

Thanks again.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

Dont give up hope - the source I looked up was from 20 years ago.

istanbul
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

A few interesting notes about the Albanian culture in Turkey for you & your husband:

- We call streets covered with cobblestones "Albanian sidewalks" (Arnavut kaldirimi). The reason as far as I know is that they were built mostly by Albanian workers during the Ottoman times.

-One of the most delicious and famous dishes in the Raki culture - Lamb's Liver with Red Peppers- is called "Albanian Liver" (Arnavut cigeri). God knows why.

-There is a neighbourhood in town that is called "the Albanian village" (Arnavutkoy)

-and last but not least; Turkish men traditionally are afraid from Albanian women; because they have a fame of being extremely jealous and aggressive females. :)

Regarding the Albanians living in Istanbul; I have found a site for local Albanians: www.arnavutum.com . The site is Turkish but I think people can communicate in Albanian there. So your husband might try to join the forum and ask questions.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

Thanks Degisen

Very interesting! I know there is an area in Istanbul called "Albanian village", but from what I can gather there seem to be more Greeks living there than Albanians.

Yes I've heard Albanian women can become very jealous, but take it from me the men can also be exceptionally jealous!

Thanks again for your comments.

UK
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

I was in Istanbul for almost two weeks a few months back

Just purely by chance l met a few albanians ( Kosovan origin) who had shops there. To be honest the scene there is like being in albanian so l dont think it will make any diffrrence if you find any albanians or not.

Just make sure to tell your husband to introduce himself as arnaut, respect and first class treatment will be guaranteed.

I experienced that at first hand l was pleasanly surprised by their respect towards the albanians whom they call " blood brothers"

Three nights will not be enough though, it is a wonderful city

I am albanian myself and l know more or less what albanians enjoy and l strongly reccomend you and your husband go and watch one of the turkish traditional shows.

http://www.istanbulin.com/en/main.htm

It will cost you 40 - 50 euro per person and included is: 4 course dinner, one bottle of wine, transfers to/from the hotel, music, dance, belly dancing for at least 3 hours. It really feels like you are in an albanian wedding ( bar the belly dancing wich is artistic and nothing sleazy). You can ask the singers and they kindly will sing in albanian language also and you they wil ask u to sing along with them.

For night life visit Taksim square and clubs and pubs around ...be careful, msot of them are a bit dodgy, very over priced and to be honest l did not feel very comfortable in a couple of them as they were full of working girls and my girlfriend got a bit scared as well in that environment.

For sightseeing visit Sultanahmet, plenty to see there, you both will be amazed.

Bosphorus cruise is unmissable

Food and the sweets are out of this world...

Have fun

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

Hello MadMaz,

My husband's mother originated from Albania, she came to Turkey as a very young girl, as NKT says, neither I have ever heard of Albania's hanging around together.

Be sure to eat "Arnavut ciger" in Istanbul, a delicious Albanian dish with liver. This dish you can find not specifically in Albanian restaurants but in Turkish restaurants.

Cheers!

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

Thanks Trevorosso and VillaRhapsody, very interesting comments. Well I did go to Istanbul and what an amazing city! Didn't encounter any Albanians tho my husband proudly announced on several occasions that he was Arvnaut when asked where we were from! I really can't better what everyone else has raved on about in this forum. I only stayed 3 nights and as Trevorosso has said 3 nights is no way enough. I intend to go back next spring but stay for a couple of weeks and hopefully rent an apartment. Made the mistake though of eating where the tourist eat and was disappointed time and time again. I couldn't believe it when I saw that when ordering a kebab they actually weigh the meat! Very mean portions. Determined next time to taste the local produce myself by buying from the markets and venturing where there aren't too many tourists. Apart from the blisters on my feet I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to going again ( after I've met the in-laws in Albania but thats another topic for another forum!)

10. Re: Albanians in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, September 13, 2009