We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Legend, Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Legend, Istanbul

We are an English couple staying in the Hotel Legend (address: Peykhane Caddesi, No 16) for my wife's 40th birhtday for 4 nights towards the end of October.

We have read some very mixed reviews on the Hotel Reviews Section on Tripadvisor.

Does anybody have any information or tips about the hotel - either good or bad! (for example: do you think the roof garden would still be open towards the end of October?).

I know there are a few reviews on the hotel, but we just thought somebody may know something extra of use.

Thanks very much in advance!

Dave

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Legend, Istanbul

Hello Dave,

I can't comment on your hotel unfortunately, but location wise it is just very good. You are in the middle of Sultanahmet, as a visitor to istanbul I would always choose to stay there. Even my Istanbul husband said once that we should book a hotel in Sultanahmet just to wake up there one day and see it at the crack of dawn.

I have read some of the reviews, I would say most of them are good, and just do not expect more than what a 3 star hotel in a big town can offer.

I would be pleased to read your review after you return.

Have a very nice time and do not miss out on the Istanbul sticky thread on good restaurants.

Enjoy yourselves!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Legend, Istanbul

As VR has stated there is virtually no history on this hotel on the forum, but the general reviews of the hotel do not appear to be bad. It is in an excellent location. It appears that even if the terrace is closed due to poor weather that there is a glassed-in area where you can enjoy breakfast and beverages.

The key to being happy in a boutique in Sultanahmet is to manage your expectations. These hotels are located in old buildings that have been renovated to accomodate guests. Most are quite small. I think the Legend has only 22 rooms. They are not famous for large bedrooms or bathrooms. So do not go with the expectation that your hotel will be large and luxurious. If you have a clean room, a good bed, an abundance of hot water, attentive service and a decent breakfast that would be the extent of what you should expect to receive.

Do take note of the reviewer who cautioned against expenses when using the phone in the hotel room. Buy an international phone card and use it when calling back to the UK. Some hotels permit you to use the phone in you room with an international card for no charge, and other place a sur-charge. Just be sure to clarify the phone policy before you use it.

Shrewsbury, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Legend, Istanbul

VillaRhapsody/Busy-retired,

Thanks very much. I don't suppose you can recommend any cafes/restaurants within 5-10 mins walk from our hotel which aren't too expensive in case we don't want to walk far some of the time. Also, one night we would like to go somewhere slightly nicer for a meal for my wife's 40th birthday.

Thanks again for your advice.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Legend, Istanbul

I have never mentioned this on the forum, but based on the reviews of your hotel it appears that there may be some smell of residual smoke in your rooms. If this bothers you, you may want to pack something to treat the odor. I never leave home without a small can of room freshner in my suitcase. I did not need mine in Istanbul because our hotel seriously discouraged smoking in the hotel, but many do not, and it appears that the Legend may be one of those.

As for dining suggestions, you are close to almost everything in Sultanahmet. There is a permanent sticky at the top of the forum page called "Restaurant Picks". You might want to look through that and see what restaurants appeal to you.

For some place very quick and very inexpensive I would recommend Barons on Divanyolu, very close to the tram stop. Barons keeps food on steam tables. You walk in, grab a plate, point to what looks good and someone dishes it up. You are eating warm, nourishing food in two minutes after you walk in. I was turned off by the idea of steam tables so I did not eat here for the first week we were in Istanbul. Big Mistake! The food probably turns over every 15 minutes in this busy place so it always stays fresh. There is a variety of dishes, and some change every day.

I also believe that you are fairly close to the Doy Doy, a small cafe popular with locals. Very inexpensive. Your hotel staff can give you directions.

A third place for inexpensive authentic Turkish food is the Sultanahmet Koftecisi. Also located close to your hotel on Divanyolu, this place is crowded with locals at meal times, but do not hesitate to get in line because it moves quickly. The special here is kofte (meatballs). Enjoy them with beans and rice pilaf.

For a treat stop at Cigdem's a few doors from Barons. This wonderful little bakery has delicious treats. Enjoy one at a table in the back or take something with you for later. If you eat in, order a sahlip to drink with your pastry. This delicious beverage is available only during cooler months. It is my very favorite beverage.

For a special celebration meal in Sultanahmet I think I would select Balikci Sabahattin. This restaurant is not cheap. Plan on spending about $25 USD/person without alcohol. Alcohol is outrageously expensive in Turkey and can easily double the bill at any restaurant. Balikcii Sabahattin is considered by many to be the best seafood restaurant in Istanbul. It is popular with locals all over the city. You know you have reached the restaurant when you encounter a street filled with expensive European automobiles that have brought the faithful locals to this restaurant. Enjoy a couples of starters or mezes and then select the fish and preparation of your choice. We just had the waiter make our selections for us, but they have a plethora of choices. You will not be disappointed here. Be sure to have the people in your hotel secure reservations for you at this very popular restaurant.

Certainly the most romantic resaurant in Sultanahmet is Sarnic. Located in the cisterns and illuminated by candles, the atmosphere here cannot be duplicated any where. Food is generally good. Plan on spending a minimum of $30 - $35 USD without wine. Reservations are also a must at this elegant restaurant.

You are going to have a terrific time in Istanbul!

Shrewsbury, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Legend, Istanbul

Thanks very much for the restaurant info, Busyretired. I think I may have read about the Sarnic. We're getting excited now (will bring room freshner as advised!).

6. Re: Hotel Legend, Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, September 10, 2009