We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Istanbul

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Istanbul

Hi everybody,

I'm going to be relocating from the UK to Turkey - Istanbul for a few months next year. I know it's not a proper trip advisor question, but can anyone point me in the direction of information about moving to Turkey?

I already know about mobile phone registration, but I haven't been able to find information about things like taking a TV or a car, for example.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
190 Reviews
from $100.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,238 Reviews
from $72.25*
$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from $250.75*
$295.00
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Istanbul

Check www.mymerhaba.com - its a site for expatriates in Turkey, so loads of useful information, plus forums where you can post questions.

Lucky you!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Istanbul

Hello Chosun,

For a few months you should consider if it is worth to bring things over, I guess for a car you can enter into the country but there is a certain limited time if I am wrong I hope somebody will correct me here.

When I came here (permanent) I brought as much as I could take in one busload, officially you have to import things like a TVset, I don't know what happens if you take it out again.

Here is a very good website where you probably get all your answers:

mymerhaba.com/en/main/content.asp_Q_id_E_205

Look in the left column down where are the Forums mentioned, perhaps your answer is there, or you can get direct answers here.

Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Istanbul

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

The plan is actually to stay in Istanbul as long as possible, maybe even buy a house there and flit between London and Istanbul.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Istanbul

Are you going to Turkey first on a 3 month tourist visa? I suspect that the nature of your visa will determine, to some degree, what items you can bring into the country such as things like a car or a TV.

When we lived in Turkey we had to take everything back out of the country that we brought into the country. When a radio broke we had to keep it to demonstrate that it was not working.

My Merhaba can give you better information about the costs of shipping things vs cost of just purchasing things in Istanbul. I would suspect a TV would be cheaper to buy new in Turkey than ship.

I certainly would not take an automobile until I had been in Istanbul for a few weeks. You may find that you do not want a vehicle. I think Istanbul is much like Manhattan where a car is generally more inconvenient and expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Istanbul

Hi chosun,

You need work/residence permit if you're planning to stay more than 3 months. Here's detailed information:

www.e-konsolosluk.net/InfoNotes/IN_Item.aspx…

You can get more information from Turkish Embassy or Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site. ( http://www.mfa.gov.tr/mfa )

Best wishes,

Alper

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Istanbul

Lots of useful information and links - thanks for your help, everybody...!!

7. Re: Moving to Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:31 am, September 10, 2009