We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning activities (tour ?)

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich
3 posts
Save Topic
Early morning activities (tour ?)

On 22.09.2007 we will arrive very early in the morning at 02:20 a.m.

There is a pick-up at Istanbul airport and a transfer to the hotel where we plan to leave our luggage at the reception desk.

What can we do as early as 3:30-4:00 a.m. (besides sleeping ) ? Any recommendations where to go that early ?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

Where is your hotel?

Munich
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

It is the Mina Hotel Sultanahmet .

Are there any clubs or bars open in this area ?

Or I could imagine a fish market or fish auction as well.

Whatever makes sense.

Thanks.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

There are no clubs or bars open in Sultanahmet at this time of the morning. There are few bars in Sultanahmet at all. I do not know about Taksim, but I would be surprised if there was anything much happening there after 3:30 am. I am not sure I would want to be wandering around at that time of the morning.

I do not know if the fish markets are open that early. Kumkapi is very lively during the evening, but it seems to me that when we passed it on the way to the airport at about 5:00 am it was pretty much closed.

I cannot think of any place you would enjoy visiting at 3:30 am. Is it possible that your hotel might let you into your room early? I would think that the rest of your experience would be more pleasant if you got your sleep/wake cycle on Istanbul time. If you start your day at 3:30 am you will be tired and exhasted by early afternoon. Were it me, I think I would just rest in the lobby of my hotel until at least the morning prayer call. You could then possibly walk around in Sultanahmet and find an early location for breakfast; although I would be surprised if your hotel does not offer you breakfast even though you have not checked in yet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

Nothing open in Sultanahmet at that time

In Taksim there would be a few places open such as bars and clubs. But more imporatntly there will be many many food places open in Taksim square, in Istiklal street at that time serving after clubbers until well into the morning then you can visit the fish market off Istiklal street.

Another choice and one of my favourite things to do in Istanbulis to go to Ortakoy on the shores of Bosphorous. Cystal lounge is open until 6-7am on Saturday night. Two rooms there, one is very noisy club music but the chillout lounge is not as noisy so maybe a few drinks there, then to Ortakoy square or around those streets where many places will be open again for post club eats and then you can watch the sun rise over the bosphorous, it is an awesome sight. You can also go to Anjelique on Ortakoy square for drinks and watch the sun rise from its terrace.

You can also stroll up the bosphorous towards kurucesme, then to Arnavutkoy to find again many places open to eat, Bodrum Manti being my favourite, I've eaten there at 5-6am many times. To go to these locations just ask your hotel to call you a taxi. These areas are safe any time. I've walked and eaten around these areas any time of the night, even as 2 girls so you'll be OK.

Have fun.

Kozano.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

You can visit the Fish Auctions at Kumkapi Balik Hali (Fish Wholesale Market) next to Kumkapi Retail Fish Market. The auction starts at ca. 3 - 4 am , you can see some fresh fish from Aegean Sea or Black Sea.

Munich
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

Many thanks to all of you answering to my posting. Depending on our fitness after arrival in the hotel , there are several choices now how to continue.

I look very much forward to my first visit of Istanbul.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

Yes you have the best answers here now! Hpefully for the strolls it won't rain, good luck!

8. Re: Early morning activities (tour ?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 10, 2009