We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey there people, flying to istanbul tomorrow!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liv
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hey there people, flying to istanbul tomorrow!

Time has come:D. I was just wondering if there were any cheap eateries in istanbul that would not make my stomach grumpy etc! Somewhere clean n cheap and tastey will do me just fine. My sister doesnt eat chicken n red meat, fish shes fine with to an extent! im landing half 7 tomorrow evening and probably will be hungry. Staying in Ahmet Efendi Evi Sultanahmet. Cant waits, i cant sleep!

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey there people, flying to istanbul tomorrow!

Hi Marcos22,

I don't know what you consider cheap, but Baran's located at 54 Divan Yolu is definitely reasonable and has delicious food. Baran's is usually referred to on the forum as the "yummy in the tummy" restaurant. The food is all on steam tables and you just point to what you want. They have many different dishes...the night we were there there was a fish dish in addition to chicken, lamb and beef dishes. I think of it as Turkish comfort food and it's a great little place. You might want to give it a try, and if you say "yummy in the tummy" to the owner he'll definitely recognize the phrase.

Jo

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey there people, flying to istanbul tomorrow!

I think Albura will still be open when you get into Sultanahmet. I am not sure if they have a fish entree, which, I assume is the only protein your sister eats. They put together some good vegetarian choices that my daughter enjoyed. Kind of across the street from Albura is a little restaurant called Oceans 7 or Oceans 9?? Oceans some number? They were open late in March and we had a fantastic meal there. Again, do not remember if fish was available, but lots of vegetarian mezes and great calamari.

There is at least one excellent fish restaurant in Sultanahmet. ..so much so that the locals will actually descend into the bowels of the teeming tourists in Sultahahmet to dine there. This place, Balikci Sabahattin, is about four blocks from the Blue Mosque, and you will know you are there because it will be surrounded by expensive European cars. We just let them bring us what they thought was good, and we had some fantastic fish dinners, some baked, some broiled, all delicious. They may not be open as late as you will need tomorrow night, but if not you should absolutely eat there one evening. Have the people in your hotel make a reservation for you.

If your restaurant choices are going to focus on fish you will want to go to Kumkapi, where the best fish restaurants are located. For lunch you might want to go under the Galata Bridge and have a fresh fish sandwich.

I also recommend Barrons in Sultanahmet on Divanyolu near the tram stop. This casual, inexpensive, little place keeps food hot on steam tables so service is fast. You walk in, take a plate and point. Don't be turned off by the concept of steam tables. The food turns over about every 10 minutes in this very popular location. They serve beef, lamb and chicken, but they have lots of vegetable dishes that I think would appeal to your sister. After you have lunch there walk a few stores down to Cigdems for an after lunch pastry.

Happy eating!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey there people, flying to istanbul tomorrow!

As vegetarians (although we eat fish) I would also recommend Albura....

We had some fabulous fish and vegetarian dishes there - and they were also very accomodating to my mum who is a food nightmare!!! (She doesn't eat any vegetables at all, hardly any fruit, nothing spicy , and nothing complicated)!!

It was probably our favourite place to eat on our last visit (apart from our beloved - and sadly very expensive - Sarnic).

Caro

4. Re: Hey there people, flying to istanbul tomorrow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 08, 2009