We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help about Yildiz Palace

LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Need help about Yildiz Palace

Hi, I would like to visit Yildiz Palce in my upcoming trip. Can you suggest the best way to go from Taksim area to this palace? How far is it from Taksim and what other places should one see after the visit to the palace?

Thanks

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

I have to confess for all my praise of the public transportation system in Istanbul, we never used the buses. If we could not reach our destination via tram, metro, furnicular or tunel we used a taxi. I am sure Alper or another Istanbul resident can help you if you do not want to go to the expense of using a taxi by telling you how to catch a bus to Yildiz.

We did not stay in Taksim either, so our venture to Yildiz would have been the tram to Kabata and then a taxi to the Sale Pavillon. I would have the taxi go directly to the Sale because it is the highest point in the complex and once you have seen it, you can then wander through the rest of the complex and park while walking downhill.

As you know the Yildiz is very new by Istanbul standards, built after Dolmabahce was deemed to be vulnerable to a sea attack by the reigning sultan. There are several buildings in the complex, and all of it is set in the lovely Yildiz Park, where locals often go to admire exotic and ancient trees and plants and enjoy a picnic. That could be an option for you....a loaf of ekmek, some cheese, some fruit and a lovely al frescoe dining experience.

If that is not to your liking there are is a restaurant in the Malta Pavillon that is supposed to have a great view. I cannot comment about the menu since we did not dine in Yildiz.

If you are interested in china you might want to browse through the shop at the Imperial Porcelain Factory; although you can find samples of this china all over Istanbul and the factory itself is not open to visitors.

After the park and the palace I would suggest that you venture on to Ortakoy. Although many complain that Ortakoy has become over-run with tourist businesses we found the village square to be scenic and the shops interesting. I actually completed my gift list in a couple of little jewelry stores there. There are many lovely restaurants with views on the water. Ortakoy is, of course, located at the base of the busy Bosphorus Bridge that links European Istanbul to Asian Istanbul.

Some one else will have to help you with distances. It would have been much too far for me to walk, but I found the walk between Dolmabahce and Kabatas to be taxing due to mobility issues. If you have the energy and time you could probably walk from Kabatas to the Sale, but it is an uphill climb.

I can really only give you ideas in terms of time in the taxi, and that is not an accurate reflection of miles because the traffic was bumper-to-bumper. I think it took us about 20 minutes to reach Yildiz from Kabatas and perhaps another 20 minutes from the base of Yildiz to Ortakoy. Unfortunately for us, our visit was in March and it was very cold. I am sure it will be more pleasant for you in better temperatures.

LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

Dear BR,

Thanks so much, you were a great help as always. I am reading a book about ottoman empire and Yildiz Palace was mentioned in different parts and was curious to see the palace. I haven't seen Ortokoy either and you helped me so much in planning to see there after Yildiz.

Maybe someone else can give me suggestions regarding other ways to get there from Taksim, if not I take a taxi as you did.

Thank you once more.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

Maya, you are most welcome. I wished I knew more about the bus system. I think you will enjoy Yildiz, In the Sale there is a dining room called the "Mother-of-Pearl Salon". It is totally covered in mother-of-pearl.There is a reception room with a glorious silk carpet covering the whole room. It was handmade by 60 rug weavers.

What book are you reading? I am always interested in books about Istanbul.

LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

Dear BR,

I am reading a translation of "Lords of the Golden Horn" by: Noel Barber and it was first published in 1973 by Mcmillan London, Limited.

It starts from 13th century to the time Ataturk passed away in 1938.

sultanahmet
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

hey,

take metro from taksim to kabatas. then take a bus right a cross the street which goes to Besiktas (i have no idea about the bus number).

That would be the cheapest way for you to reach the palace.

HK.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

Thanks istanbul 34, I was sure a local would have good specific information about the buses.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

Hi maya,

Yıldız grove is in Besiktas and has more than one entrance. The easiest entrance is across the Ciragan Palace. (In history, Yildiz was a part of Ciragan). To reach this entrance, from taksim square take the bus to Ortakoy. Leave the bus infront of Ciragan Kempinski Hotel. You'll also notice a police a station at the entrance.

Best wishes, Alper

LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

Thank you all for taking the time to guide me to the palace.

9. Re: Need help about Yildiz Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 07, 2009