We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing on the bosphorous

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
5 posts
Save Topic
fishing on the bosphorous

I am curious. i love fishing and I was wondering how good fishing on the bosphorous strait/river was. Ive seen many pictures with people crowding over each other on the bosphorous just to fish. Therefore, im assuming the fishing is pretty good. However, if you have any information about fishing please tell me. Do people catch a lot of fish? How big is the fish that is caught? What type of fish is caught?etc. etc.

Thank you for your time

Istanbul
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing on the bosphorous

Dear dalu3100,

Being locals, we always see people catching fish or waiting all day long along the coast of Bosphorus and the Galata Bridge (at the Historical Peninsula). I think it's more than fishing, kind of meditation..I doubt they catch a lot fish, never saw full buckets! but it depends on the season and the flow between Black sea and Aegean Sea. Mostly horse mackerel is caught. You can buy fishing line from the shops around Galata Bridge, Eminonu.

Most of the people fishing there are retired, and they are the one who enjoy Istanbul most, watching the sunrise over historical peninsula or sunset over the Galata Tower!

Good Luck!

Petek

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing on the bosphorous

Dear dalu, I thought for sure that you would be in Istanbul by now. I do not think there is a significant amount of sport fishing that happens from the bridges in Istanbul. As the previous poster observed, those who stand with their lines in the water seem to be visiting or meditating or just enjoying the environment. It is certainly something you can try, but I would not have big expectations. You might want to ask a person who is fishing about tackle and bait, or you may find someone selling bait and tackle who can help you.

3. Re: fishing on the bosphorous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 06, 2009