We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

photographic guide in istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
photographic guide in istanbul

Hello

I will be in Istanbul for about a week in September and i am looking for a photographic tour or guide for a couple of days. Does anyone know of either a private guide or a company that specifically does photographic tours? many thanks

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

Congratulations newadventurer, I believe you have asked a question we have not yet seen on the forum. I am not aware of any travel agency that offers a tour specifically for photographers. I do not, however, think that it would be impossible to find a private guide who could take you to the more popular places for photos. I do not know if you can find a guide with photographic experience, but you could at least make this request. Generally the forum recommends that you contact Rina, the owner of Insight Travel in Istanbul, www. info@tour-turkey.com. I would suggest that you email her and see if she can locate a private guide or recommend a group tour that would meet your needs.

My husband enjoys photography and I can tell you the places he enjoys going in Istanbul. He loves to take photographs of the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia. His preferred time of day is just at dusk. The sky gets darker and the two buildings start to glow with the lights. It is most magical. To get better views you can go to any of the hotels in the area and ask them if you can use their terraces to take pictures. No one ever refused us. We got great photos from the roof top terrace of the Blue Hotel. For these type of photos you will want to use a tripod.

My husband enjoys cultural photos of people and places and really likes to take photographs in the Spice Bazaar, and in other fresh produce markets and bazaars. He has some great photos of the colorful spices mounded up in heaps with a friendly shop owner welcoming guests in to see.

He loves water shots which he takes from the area around Topkapi Palace. For water and culture and people we like the Sunday market at Ortokoy. For gardens and flowers he likes the park between the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia as well as the gardens around Dolmabahce Palace.

We also like to take the ferry to the Asian side or even to Yalova. If the weather is cooperative you can get great photos of both sides of the Istanbul skyline. We also like photos of the sun sinking into the sea as night falls which are particularly stunning from the ferry.

A ferry to one of the Prince's Islands, Buyukada is our favorite, allows you to get water shots from the ferry and nice shots from the island itself. There are no motor vehicles permitted on Buyukada, but you can take a horse and carriage. We have some lovely photos of little isolated coves with just beach, blue water and green trees.

My husband also takes photographs inside mosques. He does not use a flash attachment, which would be disrespectful. The light is poor, but a floor tripod would be intrusive so he uses a chest mounted tripod which keeps the camera stable for a slow exposure.

I hope this will be helpful. If you have additional questions please post. I will see if he can offer any additional inforrmation. If you succeed in locating a private guide that emphasizes photographic locations, please share your experiences with us. There are probably many other people who would enjoy such an experience.

london
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

Thanks for your reply, that has been really helpful. I shall email the tour operator and see if they know of anyone. If i find someone i shall post it for others to see. Many thanks once again.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

Good luck. It really sounds like a great theme for a tour of the city. Perhaps some enterprising Turkish person might want to pursue it.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

Hello,

this is a very interesting question indeed. I have noidea if there are special tourguides for taking good photos. Here so much is depending on all kind of circumstances and conditions. You do not want to be hurried with a crowd of tourists and follow from one site to the other.

Early morning light can be beautiful, the same goes for sunset, so you should hang around long days fot the perfect shots.

It sounds to me with making a seriously good plan, which sites you want to visit, and basically most sites are in Sultanahmet or very close to that district. Of course istanbul has plenty of other photogenetic places, where even on a rainy day the best shot an be made.

Perhaps you can make a deal through your hotel with a english speaking driver for the time you want to visit places more out of the centre. Perhaps a photography student would like to help you.

Going to the Asian side Kadiköy, where it is also busy busy and hardly tourists.

And yes, the Princes Islands are lovely, the smaller ones are as lovely but quicker seen of course.

Ortaköy near the Bosphorus bridge is perhaps one of the most photographed spots out of Sultanahmet.

Just registering my thought here, as I cannot give you a direct answer to your question.

Hope it helps a bit, good luck!

5. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:48 pm, August 07, 2007
london
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

hello

sorry for my very late post after my trip last year - i ended up spending a lot longer in Turkey, came back worked solidly and then went off to Italy.

Anyway i did find a photographer in Istanbul called Yildirim Celik (www.yildirimcelik.org).

I am not sure if i am allowed to put his web address up so if not, contact me for further information.

He was really friendly, spoke good English and took me to some places that I never would have known about. He also had the perfect spot to take a sunset shot of Istanbul from the Asian side, knowing exactly what time to be there, it was good to have his local knowledge. I am not sure if he does group tours you can join as I booked him as a private guide but I think so.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

Glad to hear you found a photographic tour guide and really appreciate that you came back to the forum to share that info with us. (We didn't have a clue!)

8. Re: photographic guide in istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 06, 2009