We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please translate - I'm curious!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi all,

I've got a question for Turkish speakers.

When I was in Istanbul, there were electric cables hanging between two minarets of the Blue Mosque, with light bulbs forming some words when they were turned on after dark.

These words were: "vakif insana hizmettir" (I checked in my photos!).

I've been wondering since then what they meant: can anyone tell me, please? I'm so curious!

Thanks!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi Dotting: I can tell what I think the words mean but what it means in fact am not sure, Foundation for Human Service is what I translate it as but we need Alper or Arzu to give you the real meaning. I noticed awords in lights on Mosques in Istanbul during Ramadan too. LL

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi LemonLady,

thanks for responding. I'm a bit puzzled about the translation; I had expected it to be something "religious", like a line from the Quran, a prayer or an hymn.

Well, have a nice day!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Alper will give a better explanation I am sure. LL

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Hello DottIng,

I read your posting and thought to give you my knowledge, may help...

Vakif is an islamic tradition, That means founder or owner of an income source, (what ever makes money, like a mosque if you pay to se eit, like a car, a home, a hotel, a service, what ever makes money), puts all or a part of incomes for a special purpose, this purpose could be personal, (for himself after diees), for family or for the society, or certain part of the society (like students, workers, etc.)

This is the tradition.

And the other 2 words, tells you about th epurpose of this Vakif, which is serving humanity or people.

That is like when they selll something to you and inform you that all or some part of what you pay, goes for kids in Africa, or what ever...

I think this will encorage people to pay there and also avoids any mis-understanding about why people have to pay to get in a religiouse place, like a mosque or ...

Hope this helps and I am sure others can help more....

Vafa

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi vafa,

thanks for the very interesting explanation!

So, it meant something like "all donations to the mosque will go for charity purposes", right? Not what I expected it to be, but it really makes a lot of sense now. Thank you!

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Yup

You chose the right words (according to your culture and similar activities) for what I was trying to explain.

Glad you understood..

Vafa

Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Vakıf insana hizmettir basically means charities are there to serve to people. Bye the way if anyone is interested I am a freelance english-turkish and turkish-english translator in istanbul so you can call me if you need help when you are in İstanbul.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear arzu, Thank you for that generous offer. It is nice to know that there is someone on the forum willing to function as a translater should we become confused about what we are reading in Istanbul.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi BR: don't encourage translators, LOL, the next thing you know is that someone will say translators are "needed" to enjoy Istanbul. LL

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear LL. Of course! Of course! How could I be so stupid. I shall have to give more serious consideration to consequences before I post. LOL - BR